Young Rams dismantled by Wolves

Young Rams dismantled by Wolves

WARRINGTON WOLVES cruised into the quarter-finals of the Challenge Cup with a 52-10 win over a depleted Dewsbury Rams side.

The Rams had 14 first-teamers unavailable through injury, international duty or being cup tied, but the team, which featured three debutantes including two fresh-faced half backs, showed spirit throughout.

Brad Dwyer broke the deadlock for the Wolves on seven minutes before Brad Delaney kicked a penalty goal soon after to get the Rams on the scoresheet.

But unanswered tries from Ryan Atkins, Ashton Sims, Ben Currie and Declan Patton pulled the visitors clear.

Joel Farrell’s try on 31 minutes gave the hosts some hope, making it just 8-26 to the Super League giants at the break, but Warrington’s superior quality shone through in the second period with five unanswered tries from Chris Bridge, Richie Myler and Currie, plus a brace from Kevin Penny, ensuring their comfortable progress into the next round.

However, Dewsbury looked to fight back and notched their first points of the game with a Delaney goal on 12 minutes before the impressive Farrell was held up over the line.

But the Wolves took advantage of their strong defence, crossing again on the next set as Gene Ormsby collected Patton’s chip before offloading for  Atkins to squeeze in at the corner.

Then Richie Myler’s clean break from the resulting kick off laid the platform for Chris Hill to march through the Rams’ line.

He sent Sims in for a simple finish from 20 metres. Bridge added his first goal to make it 14-2 to the visitors after 16 minutes.

Tony Smith’s men were in clinical mood and were over again just minutes later, Patton cutting open the opposition defence with a slick pass, allowing Currie to charge in for a second converted try.

Patton went over himself two minutes later, strolling in following another Hill break. Bridge again added the extras for a 26-2 lead after 22 minutes.

The Rams could have been excused for conceding defeat, but they showed some fight in the final 18 minutes of the half to keep Warrington scoreless.

And they reduced the arrears on the half hour mark through Farrell. After a penalty close to the Wolves’ line, heformer Leeds forward Anthony twice stepped off his left foot to dance his way over beside the sticks, allowing Delaney to convert with ease after 31 minutes.

But it took only two minutes of the second half for Wire to get back on track.

Kevin Penny spectacularly dived over in the corner on 42 minutes before twisting his body through the air to avoid a tackle four minutes later and scoring again to put the visitors 36-8 up.

They went the same way again on their next attack, Bridge gliding in to bring up 40 points after 51 minutes. Dewsbury’s Ryan Hepworth was held up over the line shortly after but the Wolves soon began to move through the gears and the Rams began to tire as the final quarter approached.

It was Myler who improved the Wolves’ advantage in the 58th minute, supporting a thunderous break from James Laithwaite to go in. Bridge converted to make it 46-8 with 18 minutes to play.

But the 2012 Challenge Cup winners were not finished as Atkins smashed his way through the Rams’ defence on a typically powerful kick return.

That helped set up the final try of the game, allowing Dwyer to feed Currie, who trundled in for a converted score out wide.

But the spirited Rams had the final say, scoring with a last-minute penalty from Delaney.

Share this post