United record back-to-back wins

United record back-to-back wins
Photo: John Hirst 

Ossett United continued their perfect start to 2020 as they recorded back-to-back wins for the first time this season.

They were made to battle right until the end, but they came away with their fourth league win of the season (2-1) at a bouncing Ingfield Stadium on Saturday.

Two quickfire goals right at the end of the first half by Andy Monkhouse and Tom Greaves sent them on their way to victory, and despite a late Dunston penalty, they came away with the three points.

Manager Wayne Benn said: “(It was) another really, really good vital three points. 

“I felt today we looked leggy, we lacked intensity. We looked sluggish. 

“And you can understand why, we’ve just played two-and-a-half days ago.”

Dunston started as the brighter of the two teams, as Scott Heslop’s long range effort forced Brett Souter to tip it round the post after five minutes.

The first half turned into a stale affair for 43 minutes, as neither side could really turn any attack into a goal threat, but just a minute before half time, Ossett struck first.

Luke Porritt did brilliantly to skip past his man, who took him out and received the second yellow of the game. 

Corey Gregory swung the ball into the penalty area, and Andy Monkhouse rose the highest to flick the ball into the bottom left corner.

Ossett doubled their lead 31 seconds later. Straight from kick-off, Luke Porritt floated a perfectly weighted ball over the top of Brodie Litchfield, who stood his man up and powered a low cross into the box which was deflected out to the on-rushing Porritt. 

His shot could only be parried by the Dunston goalkeeper straight at the feet of Tom Greaves, who dispatched the ball effortlessly for his 21st goal of the season.

The second half followed suit as not many chances were created. Elliott Harrison did have the ball in the back of the net, but he was judged to have been offside.

Dunston clawed their way back after Ross Hardaker had given away a penalty near the goal line and Mark Fitzpatrick slammed the ball home for a nervy finish.

The equaliser never came, and Ossett came away with the victory and moved up to 17th in the league.

Share this post