Trojans into last four

Thornhill Trojans overcame their toughest test of the season in the shape of Pennine League Division One side Moorends to book their place in the Yorkshire Cup semifinals 1812. The hosts got off to a flyingstart as Jake Wilson scored on seven minutes but it was Moorends took lead 15 minutes later thanks to a try from Ryan Rafferty, which he then converted. Their lead was shortlived however, and three minutes later Ryan Fenton barged his way across the whitewash to give Thornhill an 86 lead at the break. Daylight appeared between the two sides after the restart when Wilson bagged his second try of the afternoon, which Darren Robinson converted to increase their lead to eight points. Matters worsened for the away side when Shaun Roberts was sent to the sinbin by referee Tim Buckley for dissent. However, Roberts turned from villain to hero within minutes of his reintroduction when he scored a try, which Rafferty converted to bring his side within two points at 1412. Moorends were right back in it with 20 minutes to play but it was the mighty Trojans, who remain unbeaten so far this season, that went on to steal the win as Joss Radcliffe dived over with five minutes left to play. Thornhill must now overcome holders Queens, away from home in order to make the final. On paper the clash is a mismatch but in terms of the form book, few would bet against the Trojans causing an upset in Leeds. Thornhill Trojans: Liam Morley; Ryan Fenton; Joss Ratcliffe; Jake Wilson; Simon Walker; Darren Robinson; Ryan Glynn; Rob Kelly; Jake Ratcliffe; Anthony Harris; Ben Eastwood; Anthony Broadhead; Scott Green. Subs: Jack Stead; Tom Holdsworth; Simon Nelson; Scott Woodcock. Tries: Fenton, Ratcliffe, Wilson 2 Goals: Robinson 1/4 Moorends: Dave Chowins; Tom Rose; Steve Allen; Craig Hookway; Adam Pickles; Shaun Roberts; Ryan Rafferty; Kev Lake; Dean Armstrong; Ben Hoffman; Alex Palmer; Danny Hornsby; Chris Allen. Subs: Ian Evans; Gaz Everton; Wayne Rafferty; Shaun Carver. Tries: Roberts, Rafferty Goals: Rafferty 2/2 Man of the match: Scott Green (Trojans) Referee: Tim Buckley

Share this post