Trojans edge past Wibsey

Trojans edge past Wibsey

THORNHILL TROJANS couldn’t emulate last week’s cup performance, but their promotion push continues after they eked out a 40-22 victory over Wibsey.

Danny Ratcliffe started the game strongly after throwing a short pass to Joel Gibson, which allowed the full-back to race through a gap and away for the opening try of the game.

Wibsey immediately replied when Chris Vogel ploughed over the line. Lewis Barrett converted.

Thornhill then became dis-jointed and struggled to deal with a Wibsey side that were in control.

A long kick down-field was collected by Adam Johnson and the winger set off on a run, which took him just inside Wibsey’s half of the field.

A pass from Johnson found Liam Morley, who sprinted clear to score and Sam Ratcliffe converted to put Thornhill in front 10-6.

Once again the visitors replied with a well-worked try. The ball went along the attacking line and found winger Chris Rodger out wide. Rodger went in at the corner and again Barrett converted to regain the lead.

In the run-up to half-time Thornhill’s Luke Haigh broke the line from 30 metres out to cross for a converted try.

Wibsey hit back when Jimmy Rodger broke clear down the wing to score a brilliant long-range converted score. This gave Wibsey a 18-16 interval lead.

The half-time talk appeared to have worked and straight from the restart Gibson broke down the middle of the field.

He covered over 50 metres to score his second try of the game. Sam Ratcliffe converted.

This try was quickly followed by another, when a fantastic pass from Haigh picked out Scott Green, who sprinted clear for another Trojan converted try.

But then Thornhill were caught out from a scrum situation as Wibsey’s Nick Walker broke down the wing and reached over to plant the ball over the line for an unconverted score.

The teams were then locked in a tussle until the closing 10 minutes. It was only in the final phase that Thornhill were able to pull clear of Wibsey and add a margin of safety to the victory.

Gibson kicked a penalty goal before he completed his hat-trick after a pass from Danny Ratcliffe Gibson also converted.

In the final minutes of the game Jake Wilson managed to wriggle over from close range to take advantage of a penalty situation and round off the home side’s win.

Share this post