Trojans defy odds to reach cup final

Liam Morley’s crucial goldenpoint drop goal handed Thornhill Trojans a remarkable 3130 victory over Queens as they defied the odds to book a place in next month’s Yorkshire Cup Final and cause one of the competition’s biggest ever upsets. On the paper, the tie was a bit of a mismatch. The Trojans lie three divisions below Queens in the Pennine League, but didn’t concern Danny Ratcliffe’s men as they took the current holders into extra time. The Trojans could have had the game wrapped up late, but the man in the middle ruled out two tries, one of which somewhat harshly. Adrian Filburn gave Queens an early 40 lead but that was quickly wipedout by Ben Eastwood’s effort, which Andy Robinson converted to hand Thornhill a 64 lead at Buss Vale. The lead changed hands right up until halftime where the home side held a slender 2218 lead after further tries from Danny Mitchell and Aaron Henry. Replying for Thornhill were Darren Robinson and Craig Holmes. The tie was far from over when Anthony Broadhead touched down just minutes after the break, and the Trojans were level once more. Henry however, claimed his second Queens try to give his side a fourpoint advantage on the hour. The game swung once again though when Scott Green touched down in the corner, his effort putting Thornhill in the driving seat once more at 2826. The Trojans appeared to have the game in the bag during the final 10 minutes. Queens were reduced to 11 men following two red cards and Thornhill got over the line twice. Despite touching down, the referee disallowed both of the tries and Queens hit back through Filburn, who touched down for his second try to give them a 3028 lead. Nevertheless, the neversaydie Trojans responded once more through a Craig Holmes penalty goal which levelled the scores and sent the game into extra time. Further controversy surrounded the opening minutes of extra time as Queens somehow sneaked on a 12th player despite having two previously sent off. However, after a two 10minute periods of extra time, the game was settled when Morley held his nerve to slot over the drop goal and clinch the golden point for Thornhill.

Share this post