Town finish in style

Evo-Stik League First Division North

OSSETT TOWN sent play-off contenders Droylsden home empty handed, rounding off their home campaign with a 2-0 win.

Droylsden almost had a dream start when Ossett old-boy Fernando Moke broke down the left and cut inside but his curled ball to the back post went wide.

There were few chances in the first half, with the best falling to Nick Wood, whose header was inches wide.

The second half was a different matter, the home side producing an excellent performance to finish their home season in style.

Daz Lucas’s whipped-in corner was tipped over the bar by Craig Ellison. Josh Whiteley then sent a near-perfect free-kick inches wide, before Whiteley saw his strike saved.

As the final 20 minutes approached it looked like an end of season draw was on the cards, but Town had other ideas.

The ball dropped for Ross Armstrong who, 40 yards out, saw the keeper off his line and struck a sweet ball over his head, dipping under the crossbar.

Just nine minutes later Ossett doubled their lead. A ball over the top looked to be collected by the keeper, but he allowed the ball to bounce and a lurking Nathan Curtis nipped round him to slot into the empty net from a tight angle.

Town’s next trip is to title chasers Salford City tomorrow, with free entry for all.

Ossett Albion travelled to League Cup finalists Warrington Town last Saturday for their penultimate Evo-Stik League game of the season, and came home with all three points after a 0-3 victory.

Warrington dominated for the first 20 minutes, going close on a couple of occasions.

After weathering the early storm Albion gained in confidence and it was no surprise when they took the lead on 35 minutes when Adam Muller completed a superb passing move involving five Albion players.

Albion had to change things around just before the break, when injured Kyle Harrison was replaced by Dominic Riordan.

The second-half was an entertaining affair with Albion again having the better of the chances.

They doubled their lead on 74 minutes when Connor Brunt rose above all the Warrington defenders to head in Luke Sharry’s inch-perfect cross.

Warrington had a chance to get themselves back in the game on 80 minutes when they were awarded a penalty. Scott Metcalf however put the ball wide of the target.

Albion secured all 3 points minutes before the final whistle when Nicky Matthews stabbed home a loose ball from just outside the six-yard box.

Share this post