Tired Dewsbury lose at league leaders Leigh

DEWSBURY failed to make it four wins in a row, but it was always going to be a tough ask as they lost 40-24 to Leigh.

Dewsbury gave league debuts to Brad Delaney and Sam Dunn, in what was the Rams’ second game in four days.

The victory for the Centurions secured them the league leaders shield and they got off to a flying start.

Aaron Brown kicked off and in the first 60 seconds Leigh centre Tom Armstrong crashed over, Ben Reynolds converted.

The Centurions remained on the attack, but great defence from Dale Morton dumped his opposite winger Liam Kay into touch to give the Rams their first taste of the ball.

Nathan Conroy – who this week signed for the Rams on a permanent deal – took Dewsbury to the line and tried to dart over from dummy half but was held up on the last.

Leigh then regained possession and the 11-minute mark Kay forced his way in the corner for Leigh’s second try of the evening. Again Reynolds added the extras from the touchline for a 12-0 lead.

Things got worse for Glenn Morrison’s side as Sam Dunn and Toby Adamson clashed heads, which meant Adamson had to leave the field of play, to be replaced by Joel Farrell.

Some heroic tackling from Greg Scott prevented any further Centurion scores, and the game wouldn’t see another try until the 34th minute.

Eventually substitute Farrell going over from close range, making it easy for Delaney to convert, meaning the home side went into the break with just a six-point lead.

Paul Rowley’s side came out for the second period looking to put the game to bed and lift the league leaders shield, and it looked like they had their third try when Kay went in, but the referee waved it away for a forward pass.

With the hosts still in shock, Dewsbury’s Morton found a gap in their defensive line and touched down under the posts for a converted try.

But it wasn’t long before Leigh regained the lead as Ryan Brierley picked up a loose ball on the halfway line and raced down the field to score to make it 18-12.

It was soon 24-12 as Brierley’s half-back partner Reynolds crossed the whitewash and converted his own score to give his team a 12-point advantage.

The Rams’ long trip to Cumbria last weekend began to show as Leigh got their fifth try of the night when Brierley went over for his second of the hour mark.

The Centurions scrum-half completed his hat-trick just two minutes later and Reynolds missed his first kick of the night, with the scoreline reading 34-12.

After a long stint in defence Dewsbury got the ball back, as Conroy and Anthony Thackeray combined to send Ryan Fieldhouse over.

The last 10 minutes were an arm-wrestle, with the home side knowing victory was already sealed. Leigh had one hand on the trophy when Sam Hopkins charged his way over.

The Rams replied through Farrell, as the tired Dewsbury side got their fourth try on the night, and Delaney added the extra two points.

Leigh: McNally, Higson, Pala, Armstrong, Kay, Reynolds, Brierley, Moimoi, Higham, Acton, Sarsfield, Haggerty, Wilkes. Subs: Beswick, Aspinwall, Hopkins, Spencer.

Rams: Fieldhouse, Morton, Dunn, Hale, Scott, B Delaney, Thackeray, Nash, Conroy, Hepworth, L Adamson, T Adamson, Brown. Subs: J Delaney, Farrell, Muranka, Smith.

Share this post