Thornhill on track for Challenge Cup run

Thornhill on track for Challenge Cup run

THORNHILL TROJANS overcame Lock Lane 32-18 at Overthorpe Park and sealed their place in the second round of the Challenge Cup for the first time in a decade.

In what proved to be an end-to-end encounter it was the Trojans who broke the deadlock inside five minutes.

The hosts pressed up-field and the ball was worked along the attacking line before a clever James Craven pass paved the way for winger Jack Gledhill to go over and bag his debut try for the club.

The Trojans were quick to try and extend their advantage against a Lock Lane side lacking tempo in the early stages.

But the try sparked the visitors into life and they quickly hit back through Ethan Flowers, who powered his way over. Conner Turner converted to put Lane in front.

Trojans full-back Craven was looking dangerous in possession, however, and when Lock Lane chipped forward and he intercepted the ball cleanly he embarked on a 70-metre sprint to the line, beating three Lane defenders along the way for an unconverted try.

The away side battled hard throughout the contest and demonstrated how dangerous they could be when scrum-half Joe Willcock crossed the whitewash, only to lose his grip on the ball before grounding.

In the run-up to the interval George Woodcock kicked a penalty goal for the Trojans and Lock Lane’s Scott Wilson was sin-binned for dissent.

The away side looked dangerous as the second half got underway and they were soon in the driving seat thanks to a well-worked try.

A long-range break away move unpicked the Trojans defence and allowed Turner to touch down. He stepped up and successfully added the conversion.

But the Trojans were unwilling to give up on their dream of a surprise Challenge Cup run and slowly stamped their authority on the game.

Danny Ratcliffe was instrumental in the turnaround and his determination helped to forge the opening for Sam Ratcliffe to power his way over in the corner. George Woodcock converted.

Woodcock then turned try-scorer when he latched onto a wonderful George Stott pass out wide before dotting down in the corner. Woodcock held his nerve and added the extras.

With their tails up the Trojans pushed for the decisive try. It came via Danny Ratcliffe who crashed over at the side of the posts, but somehow Woodcock skewed his conversion attempt wide.

As the hard-fought contest neared its conclusion tempers began to boil over between two clubs who have history when it comes to poor discipline.

Lock Lane’s Adam Galick initially received a yellow card for his part in the altercations but that was upgraded to a red when he spoke out of turn to the referee.

And with a man advantage Thornhill scored their final try of the game through Woodcock. Sam Ratcliffe kicked the goal to round off the victory.

Lock Lane bagged a late consolation thanks to the efforts of Lewis Price, but it was too little too late for his side. Turner converted.

Thornhill now look forward to an away trip to Haydock in round two.

Share this post