Ten goals for super Sedge's strikeforce

Ten goals for super Sedge's strikeforce

LIVERSEDGE hit double figures last weekend in an extraordinary rout of a young Handsworth side (10-1) which saw them move joint-top of the league – if only for a few days.

In front of their second-highest Clayborn crowd of the season, 187 fans saw Sedge record a fifth win in succession in a run that has seen them score 26 goals.

They have constructed a fearsome strikeforce in the past couple of months, with Joe Walton and Oliver Fearon joined by returning legend Paul Walker and most recently Mark Simpson.

All four were on the scoresheet on Saturday, with Simpson netting his first two goals since moving to the club from Garforth, having come off the bench with his team already 6-0 up.

He replaced Walton, who got a brace himself to make it 20 goals for the season in all competitions, while Fearon grabbed a hat-trick and Walker added an effort along with Alfie Raw, who scored for the sixth game running, and an own goal.

Handsworth were well and truly beaten by the time they netted the final goal of the game to deny Liversedge a clean sheet.

Sedge now travel to fellow promotion-chasers Yorkshire Amateur tomorrow (Saturday, kick-off 3pm), after their scheduled clash with Thackley on Tuesday night was postponed due to snow.

That denied them the chance to move top outright, and instead other results saw them slip down to third behind leaders Staveley Miners Welfare and second-placed Penistone Church.

Against Handsworth, Fearon got the ball rolling inside three minutes, left unmarked inside the six-yard box to steer a cross past goalkeeper Ben Townsend, who was set for a miserable afternoon.

Walton could have made it 2-0 after six minutes but his header from a Fearon cross was well-saved at point-blank range by Townsend.

The striker didn’t have to wait much longer for a goal though, with Fearon flicking the ball into his path and a smart finish following.

Liversedge continued to dominate with Fearon and Raw both denied by the keeper and skipper Tom Jackson unable to convert a free header.

Walker scored his goal just past the half hour, shooting through a crowd of bodies to find the net, and it remained 3-0 to half-time.

Long throws have been a dangerous weapon for the Clayborners in recent weeks and proved so again when they opened their account for the second half. The ball found its way to Walton at the back post and he managed to turn it in for the first of seven Sedge goals in the space of 28 crazy minutes.

Fearon scored his second of the game just past the hour mark, getting on the end of goalkeeper Alex Lill’s long clearance and holding off the defender to slot home.

A block on the line denied Handsworth a goal back, and instead the pain continued for the visitors as Raw fired in number six from the edge of the area.

The introduction of Simpson from the bench proved no let-up for Handsworth as he bagged his first goal for the club moments after entering the field to make it 7-0.

An Alex Varley own goal made it eight before Simpson turned his defender and expertly found the far corner of the net.

Simpson then turned provider as Liversedge made it to 10, finding Fearon to allow the striker to bag his hat-trick and a 14th goal of the season.

Lill had been required to make some saves in the second half, keeping out two efforts from Ehsan Mohammed, and he was beaten with five minutes to go as Jamie Austin headed in the slightest of consolations.

This weekend sees Sedge head to Leeds to take on fifth-placed Yorkshire Amateur, who have won six of their past eight matches themselves.

The mid-week Thackley tie at Clayborn has been rearranged for March 10.

Share this post