Super Sam saves Liversedge in smash and grab Garforth draw

Super Sam saves Liversedge in smash and grab Garforth draw

TOM JACKSON netted an injury-time equaliser as Liversedge snatched a late 1-1 draw at Garforth Town on Saturday.

The NCEL Premier Division side were indebted to man-of-the-match goalkeeper Sam Dobbs (pictured) who kept the hosts at bay with a superb shot-stopping performance.

Without him, Liversedge would have been blown away long before captain Tom Jackson sweetly struck the leveller deep into injury-time to cancel out Sinmi Oyebanji’s first-half goal at Wheatley Park.

Garforth had enough chances to win two or three matches – never mind one – but Dobbs showed the qualities that made him a top Evo-Stik Division One North goalkeeper last season.

Mark Simpson had at least five chances, but he couldn’t score past an almost unbeatable Dobbs

Liversedge, who had conceded 18 goals in their last four games, started poorly and allowed Garforth to set the pace.

Mangham was blocked off and then Simpson went close with two chances before the deadlock was finally broken.

Great link-up play down the right wing allowed captain Andy Hawksworth to gain entry to the Sedge penalty area.

Hawksworth’s low cross swept across the six-yard box and it met the feet of Oyebanji, whose clever flick trickled past a stranded Dobbs.

That’s when Dobbs took centre stage. His superb save from an Ash Preece header close to half-time was the first of many stops.

Without Dobbs, Liversedge would have collapsed and succumbed to a fifth straight defeat.

Simpson was denied three times by Dobbs in the second half.

Simpson was searching for his first goal in a Miners jersey and the striker used his pace and trickery to carve out opportunities, but he found Dobbs unbeatable.

Garforth should have put the game to bed and while the score remained a 1-0, there was always the sense that an unlikely equaliser would arrive.

Kieron Corley unleashed a trademark thunderbolt to force Garforth goalkeeper Ben Hunter to palm the ball over the crossbar.

Garforth responded with a Tim Robertson free-kick which crashed back off the crossbar.

Out of nothing, Simpson weaved his way into the box before his nemesis Dobbs managed to deny him again.

Instead it was Sedge who netted the equaliser in the last minute of stoppage time.

Garforth switched off from a long throw-in and former Farsley defender Jackson was able to steer a superbly-hit low drive into the corner to dramatically secure a point.

Share this post