Stylish Sharks end on a high

Stylish Sharks end on a high

Shaw Cross Sharks cruised past Ince Rose Bridge 40-4 to end their league season in style.

In a game that could only be billed as the battle for seventh place Shaw Cross took the spoils to leapfrog their opponents and finish the season one place outside the play-offs.

The hosts got themselves on the board inside the opening two minutes as full-back Sam Ottewell continued his rich vein of form.

Matthew Tebb drew the defenders and found Ottewell, who had plenty of space on the left to run in and dot down behind the posts.

Tom Stuckey, still destined for the nudey run, had two tries disallowed by the touch judge as the score remained at 6-0.

Tebb and Ottewell proved key for a second time as they both combined to send Joe Halloran over on the left wing.

The visitors were put on a team warning and found themselves a man light minutes later as Kieron Ecclestone was yellow-carded for dissent.

Tom Middleton then managed to score his first try of the season as Tebb provided a second assist with a lovely ball to the centre who barged his way over from close range.

Ince Rose Bridge were then reduced to 12 men permanently as the replacement hooker Ryan Griffiths was given his marching orders for dissent.

Ross Roebuck added a fourth Shaw Cross score as the ball was moved to the left once again and Roebuck had the space to slide over on the stroke of half time.

At the beginning of the second half Ottewell went over for his second try of the afternoon after some good work from Ash Lindsay.

The Sharks’ loose forward jinked past the Ince defenders before finding Ottewell who glided through the remaining tacklers to touch down.

The away side scored their only try of the game as Ecclestone produced a superb piece of individual play.

The forward put a grubber through to the in-goal before chasing his own kick and grounding.

Ince Rose Bridge were then put on another team warning and had another man sin-binned moments later for interference.

Ottewell completed his hat-trick as Brandan French produced a magnificent offload to find his full-back who had the easy job of gathering and dotting down.

In the dying minutes Stuckey got his illusive try as the ball was flung to the right and the winger dived over the attempting to tackler to score. 

Head coach Zach Johnson was proud of the efforts from his players and was happy to mark his first official game in charge with a resounding win, capping off a less-than-convincing season.

“In the first half we couldn’t have asked for much more,” said Johnson.

“Our line speed was fantastic, our process and contact was perfect.

“In the second half we went away from what we did in the first half because our tails were up.

“We still did what we needed and only conceded one try and finished the season with a win.

“I am really pleased to have won my first official game in charge, the lads are buying into what we are doing and hopefully now we can build on it and take it into next season.”

Share this post