Shaw Cross win keeps survival hopes alive

Shaw Cross win keeps survival hopes alive

SHAW CROSS SHARKS earned their third win of the season with an assured home victory over Milford Marlins in NCL Division One.

Tries from Joe Halloran, Nathan Wright, Paul March, Ash Berry and Sam Ottewell, along with a conversion and a drop goal from Shaun Squires, sealed a deserved win that takes the Sharks off the bottom of the table.

They started the brighter and were in front within five minutes, as strong carries from Halloran and then Owen Lamb put the Sharks in the good position from where Ryan Chalkley was able to send Halloran in to score, with Squires adding the extras.

They continued to dominate and were soon into double figures on the scoreboard, with more good play putting Wright into the right corner after Matthew Tebb had been held just short.

The Sharks were in full control but Milford got a try back out of the blue when Lumb lost the ball, allowing Josh Nathaniel to sprint the length of the opposition half to score, with Martin Loveridge’s kick reducing the deficit to four.

The Marlins started to show some confidence after that try but errors continued to hinder them throughout the game.

It was Shaw Cross that scored next, started by a good break as Brandon French sent Halloran down the left wing. He couldn’t make it all the way, but the ball was then sent right and coach March went over for the try.

Just a few minutes later the Sharks had their fourth, coming from more expansive play that created an overload on the left for Berry to go over and put them 12 points in front at the break.

The second-half was a tighter affair as both sides tired in the heat, but it was Milford who got the next try after 15 minutes of play when Harry Gillfillan was sent over in the left corner. Jacob Skinner failed convert from the touchline though, keeping the Sharks two scores ahead.

The gap was extended again five minutes later, with a Milford error allowing Ottewell to sprint down the right wing for the Sharks’ fifth and final try of the afternoon.

There was time for a comeback, but the Sharks held firm and had the final say with 10 minutes to go when Squires put a one-pointer between the posts to seal victory.

Share this post