Sedge under pressure after another defeat

Sedge under pressure after another defeat

LIVERSEDGE FC slipped to another disappointing defeat last weekend as they were beaten 4-0 by Penistone Church.

They trailed early on and struggled to ever get a real foothold in the game, but three goals inside 15 minutes in the second half ensured that their struggles continue.

It took just nine minutes for their goal to be breached, and it came from a swift breakaway from a Liversedge corner with Sam Scrivens’ shot deflected over goalkeeper Harrison Davison-Hale.

Penistone continued to look the more dangerous on the break as the half wore on, although the hosts did work a few chances of their own.

One of the best came from a free kick, when Joe Walton failed to hit the target with his header at the back post and should have done better.

An early first half change, with Ewan Gardner coming off for Harry Freedman, saw them change to three at the back in a bid to get a greater foothold in the game.

They did put some pressure on in the final minutes of the half, with Donae Lawrence coming close to connecting with a Rhys Davies cross at the near post after a good counter.

They could still only graft half-chances after the break though, with an early corner falling to Stephen Wales to drive wide from the edge of the box.

A good ball by Wales sent Davies in behind out wide, and he cut inside and steered an effort towards goal that was comfortably saved by Chris Snaith.

They were made to pay a couple of minutes later as Penistone got the second goal, created by good interplay in midfield before Jordan Coduri’s shot from just inside the area beat the keeper.

That made the margin far more comfortable for the visitors, and Liversedge were even more flat afterwards. From there it only got worse, with another two goals in the space of three minutes compiling their misery.

The first came from the penalty spot, with Nathan Keightley converting confidently with a thumping finish into the bottom corner.

A free kick was then played to the near post, where Kieran Ryan turned and struck fiercely across Harrison-Dale to complete a heavy scoreline.

The defeat, a second in a row without scoring, saw them slip down to 16th in the table, although they remain five points ahead of the bottom two.

They return to Clayborn tomorrow (Saturday) to face league leaders Yorkshire Amateur again, just two weeks after a 2-0 away defeat.

Share this post