Sedge break losing run to stun title hopefuls

Sedge break losing run to stun title hopefuls

LIVERSEDGE claimed their first win in 11 games with a shock 1-0 victory which dented Shaw Lane Aquaforce’s Toolstation NCEL Premier Division title hopes.

Andy Wood’s first-half goal proved to be the difference as FA Vase heroes Shaw Lane were unable to break down a well-organised Sedge side on Tuesday night.

The defeat was compounded by Shane Kelsey’s late red after an altercation with Tom Jackson which leaves him facing a three-match ban.

Liversedge’s excellent goalkeeper Sam Dobbs also played a key role with an unbelievable match-winning save in the dying seconds.

Looking to erase the memories of the 3-0 defeat at Worksop on Saturday, Aquaforce started really strongly.

Lee Morris missed a sitter inside the opening 60 seconds as the pressure mounted for Liversedge early on.

The visitors even had their assistant manager Mark Greaves, the former Yorkshire Amateur boss, removed from the technical area for remarks made to the referee Mark Powell in the 12th minute.

Kelsey then rattled the crossbar with a long range pile-driver.

Sedge had to rely on their vastly-experienced goalkeeper Dobbs to make several saves and he was rewarded when Wood raced through and scored midway through the half.

Alan Colquhoun’s men then set their stall out to defend and protect their lead but they were opened up occasionally.

Joe Thornton’s long run forward sent Kelsey through and the striker went around Dobbs, but couldn’t score past the last defender Jackson.

The second half continued in the same vein with the away defence heading and kicking every single piece of danger downfield. Wood was a handful for Shaw Lane and he made Liversedge dangerous on the break.

Eli Hey was inches away from doubling their lead with a strike that cannoned back off the post.

Aquaforce’s task became harder with the dismissal of Kelsey, who became embroiled in an argument with former Farsley defender Jackson. Assistant referee Allan Clearie spotted something untoward so Kelsey made his early exit.

Shaw Lane created a few openings in the finale with Fernando Moke going close.

The biggest chance came in the sixth minute of added time. The ball reached the Liversedge penalty area and the angle opened up for Morris.

The prolific striker put his foot through the ball and it was heading for the top corner until Dobbs dived with his left-hand to divert it over the crossbar.

LIVERSEDGE remained in relegation danger after a last-gasp goal earned Thackley a 2-1 win at Clayborn on Saturday.

Alan Colquhoun’s men were seconds away from going above Nostell Miners Welfare in the Toolstation NCEL Premier Division, but a Joe Brown stole all the points for Thackley.

It was another improved performance by Sedge and a Mitchell Pearson cross was headed home by Andy Wood after just 12 minutes.

Pearson and Brook Newton both had chances to double the lead, but Thackley goalkeeper Ed Hall kept them out.

Thackley equalised on the hour when former Farsley youngster Tom Dugdale’s free kick was deflected past Sam Dobbs.

A draw appeared likely until a Mark Truman cross was latched onto by former Bradford City striker Joe Brown and the latter scored a dramatic winner.

Share this post