Samme resigns as Moor ship 50 points in latest loss

Dewsbury Moor head coach Allan Samme has resigned after five years in charge at the club.

The shock resignation came at the end of Moor’s 50-14 defeat away to Woolston Rovers. 

Samme felt a change was needed at the club after a string of bad results narrowed the Maroons’ hopes of a play-off place.

“I think we were ready for a change if we want to push for promotion,” said Samme. 

“We are beating ourselves and I don’t know how to fix it, I take full responsibility and have made the decision to resign after five years in charge.

“I hope a change of voice and face is the spark the lads need to push on.”

Despite being disappointed with leaving his role Samme will look positively on his time in charge of the club. 

“I have done what I set out to do five years ago by building a squad of nearly 60 players,” added Samme. 

“We have secured Conference League football for the club and now it is time to take a step back and let someone else have a go.”

James Delaney will take over until the end of the season, while Samme will remain at the club behind the scenes and a coach will be appointed on a permanent basis once the campaign comes to a close.

Moor started the day level on points with Woolston, with Moor having won the reverse fixture earlier in the season.

It was a hot afternoon in Warrington and the Maroons were blown away by their opponents who stormed into a 12-0 lead with only 10 minutes played. 

Moor then began to settle into the game with the introduction of Archie Bruce, after a 12-week lay-off, making a big impact. 

The young hooker picked the ball up and scooted through a sea of defenders only to be stopped short of the line. 

The resulting play saw Aiden Ineson deliver a clever pass through his legs to Sam Thornton who dived over in the corner. 

Moor’s anticipated fightback was then quelled as Woolston crossed for a third try. 

The Maroons were forced into defence with Woolston enjoying more possession and field position however the visitors held firm to keep the hosts at bay. 

Despite being on the back foot Moor were next on the scoreboard. 

A brilliant piece of individual play from Thornton saw Moor hit back as the winger took a quick tap on his ten metre line and ran 80 metres and past three defenders to reduce the deficit. 

However Woolston re-extended their lead with a converted try to lead 24-10 at the break. 

Moor started the second 40 minutes  the strongest and scored the first try of the half through Max Vernon who ran onto a short ball from 10 yards and stepped past the tackler to score. 

Moor’s chances of victory were ended when Woolston scored 26 unanswered points in the final 25 minutes to reach the 50-point mark. 

Moor will aim to get their charge for a top-six finish back on track as they host Barrow Island tomorrow afternoon (2.30pm).

Share this post