RS Racing battle the weather

RS Racing battle the weather

HEAVY rain hampered Ryan Stafford’s race day in round four of the Thundersport GB Golden Era Superbike series at Cadwell Park in Lincolnshire. 

Friday’s test session was a washout, with torrential rain most of the day, and Heckmondwike-based Ryan only managed 15-20 laps throughout the whole day.

“We seemed to be plagued with heavy rain, every time we went out on the bike the heavens opened and flooded the track and it made it an all to lose and nothing to be gained situation,” he said.

Race day on Saturday was held in dry conditions as Ryan and the team picked up two comfortable third-place finishes.

The result could have been better if the team had have managed to record some dry set-up times. This caused them some issues and left Ryan slightly off the pace of the leaders.

Sunday saw rain hit Cadwell Park again but as start time approached the weather dried up, forcing to team to make a last-minute decison regarding their tyres.

The team made a decision to place full-wet tyres on the front and intermediates on the rear. Surprisingly the front three riders on the grid joined Ryan with a mix set of tyres.

Blunt and Deiterman crossed the stripe in front of Ryan on lap one, but by lap two the Heckmondwike biker led the race.

It remained in that order until the penultimate lap, and with the track now drying, Deiterman’s rear tyre choice kicked in and he reeled both riders in front of him, catching Ryan in the last couple of corners.

Despite just being pipped to the post by his rival, Ryan was in high spirits after crossing the finishing line.

“That was a fantastic race, I really enjoyed leading from the front again, it’s a real shame I couldn’t convert it into a race win and I’m gutted for the team. I put everything I had into that race,” Stafford said.

In the afternoon’s second race the weather changed dramatically and allowed Stafford to set his fastest laps of the weekend, but an error allowed his opponents to overtake.

“I made a small mistake going into the mountain on the first lap and the two lads in front didn’t need a second invitation. I couldn’t make up the gap,” he added.

“It’s been a challenging weekend but we’ve made some real progress. We know what we need to change for round five at Oulton Park at the end of June.”

Share this post