Rams have to Work hard for point


WORKINGTON snatched a dramatic draw with the last action of the match as Carl Forber slotted over a touchline conversion to make the score 20 - 20.

The Rams moved up to fourth in the Kingstone Press Championship table but head coach Glenn Morrison was far from pleased with his side.

He said: “We were poor and I feel I should apologise to the fans. Like last week against Doncaster, we just didn’t turn up. We seem to have a problem with getting up for games against sides lower in the division. There are no excuses, we just weren’t good enough.

“Although we’re in the top four, there isn’t much we can take from that. We needed a win today to get some momentum ahead of what is a massive five games for us, but we’ve failed. I’ll be looking at making some changes for next week against Bradford.”

The Rams went behind early on following Rhodri Lloyd’s score, but fought back to lead 18-14 at the break thanks to converted tries from Dalton Grant, Aaron Brown and Joel Farrell in response to four-pointers from Jarrad Stack and Lewis Tierney.

In an attritional second period, the Rams were first to trouble the scoreboard with Brett Seymour’s penalty goal on 77 minutes. But Elliott Miller flew in out wide on the hooter to give Carl Forber the chance to snatch a point from the touchline, which he took.

Workington chief Phil Veivers was left jubilant with the result.

“There was some great defence out there. We weren’t clinical enough in attack but credit to the boys for staying in there and credit to Carl Forber for the kick. We handled everything thrown at us and it feels great to have come away from such a tough place with a point.”

Town went ahead on five minutes after Lloyd followed up Jack Murphy’s pass to crash in, but Dalton Grant got on the end of a slick right-to-left shift from the Rams to help his side go 6-4 up. And the home side looked well set for a comfortable first period when Aaron Brown raced in on 23 minutes following a superb Anthony Thackeray break.

Town hit back almost immediately with skipper Jarrad Stack forcing his way over after the Rams conceded a drop out from the restart.

Suddenly, the visitors were in charge and  Lewis Tierney, playing on dual registration from Wigan Warriors, was next to go over, striding through a fractured Rams defence before scorching his way to the line from 60 metres out to hand his side a 12-14 lead.

However, against the run of play, the Rams went into the break 18-14 ahead after Joel Farrell strolled in for a converted score  on the hooter.

A combination of errors in possession from both sides and manful Town defence meant the second period remained scoreless until the Rams  extended their lead to six points on 77 minutes, Seymour notching a penalty goal from close in.

But Town regained possession from a short kick off and snatched a point at the death thanks to Miller's exceptional finish out wide before Forber’s unerring magic from the touchline sent the visiting fans into raptures.

Share this post