Rams win again after fine second half performance

Rams win again after fine second half performance

DEWSBURY RAMS scored five tries in 20 second half minutes to overcome a narrow half-time deficit and inflict defeat on an indisciplined Workington outfit.

The visitors were still without the talismanic Jarrod Sammut, and it wouldn’t be unfair to say the Cumbrians lacked his creative spark in the final third.

The result marks a second heavy defeat in as many games for Workington.

While it was a second win on the bounce for Morrison’s Rams, it came as a result of a second half performance that delighted the home head coach.

He said: “We gave the lads a bit of a rocket at half-time. We know we can defend, but we did far too much of it in that first period. In the second half we managed to score some quality tries against a quality side, and the all-round performance was much-improved.”

Dewsbury made just one change to the side that beat Swinton Lions a week earlier, with Luke Adamson replacing Jack Teanby.

And the hosts made the perfect start, scoring in the first minute after the impressive Josh Guzdek broke down the left before feeding Jason Crookes for an easy run-in.

Town wrestled their way back into the contest after a slow start and built pressure following a number of Rams handling errors and with early penalties behind them they went in front  thanks to a Callum Phillips touchdown. Carl Forber converted.

The Rams regained their advantage when Dalton Grant squeezed over in the corner after the ball was worked from the left. Reynolds was wide with both

conversion attempts in the opening quarter, meaning the hosts’ lead was restricted to two points.

But again Workington hit back, and they were in front when Declan Hulme squeezed over just inside the right corner flag.

But Forber was unable to convert and minutes later Hulme was sin-binned for holding down after Town had been placed on a team warning by referee Gareth Hewer.

Despite the numerical disadvantage, the visitors held on to their lead going into the interval.

But a more enthusiastic start to the second half from Glenn Morrison’s men erased the narrow deficit and thereafter they never looked back.

First, Crookes powered over from dummy half for his second four pointer Reynolds converted to make it 14-10  and then Dale Morton was quickest to Andy Kain’s lofty chip to put real daylight between the sides.

Ahead of the hour, Matt Groat’s last ditch offload sent Kain over for a simple try following a barnstorming run into the heart of the Town defence, and eight minutes later Reynolds’ short ball out the back sent Guzdek weaving through to seal the win.

But Town did gain some consolation when Jason Mossop scooped up a spilled pass to stroll over under the posts for Forber to convert, but Morrison’s men had the last word.

Reynolds laid the platform for the next Rams try and, on the following play, hooker Nathan Conroy found Kyle Trout, who had enough momentum to slide over on the left.

Reynolds converted three goals from six attempts in the second period.

Share this post