Rams struggle against promotion chasing Broncos

DEWSBURY RAMS struggled against Andrew Henderson’s high-flying Broncos in what was a dominant performance from the promotion chasers as their second half showing sealed a 34-6 win to take back to the capital.

The Rams handed a home debut to Mitch Stringer and a second debut to Bobbie Goulding, who returned to the club following a spell in Australia. He was drafted into the squad following the withdrawal of the ill Andy Kain.

Following three consecutive penalties, the Broncos broke the deadlock when Wes Naiqama cut inside from his wing before rounding full back Josh Guzdek for a good individual try.

The Fijian international converted his own touchdown but the Broncos allowed the restart to trickle dead and the Rams almost made them pay. Matt Groat charged over the line but the touch judge ruled that the ball wasn’t grounded.

The Rams continued to pour forward and Jason Crookes went close. The end-to-end nature of the contest continued before a charged-down kick on the last created an opportunity for London to send Israel Eliab over on the right. Naiqama converted well from the touchline.

A chance for London to score a third try went to waste when Api Pewhairangi knocked on in a good position.

The Rams went close again when Paul Sykes kicked from the first play at a scrum for Crookes to chase, but the bounce was unkind and the ball ran dead.

Dewsbury finished the half camped in London territory, but couldn’t score.

London made a strong start to the second half and began to dictate the pace of the game.

The Rams’ only chance during this early period was wasted with an unforced error on the second tackle which offered London the chance to pour forward in search of a try.

And they seized the chance when Eliab showed immense strength to hold off an attempted cover tackle and plonk the ball down. Naiqama added an excellent conversion from the right touchline.

The game-breaking score came in the 55th minute when Mark Ioane crashed over from a short ball. Naiqama converted from in front of the posts to make it 0-24 and London piled on the misery just before the hour, when Rhys Williams sprinted clear and scored.

The Rams’ afternoon was summed up when a an over-cooked pass ruined a try-scoring chance.

The hosts eventually scored with just over 10 minutes remaining when Josh Guzdek supported a Shane Grady burst and snapped up the centre’s timely offload.

The try signalled the beginning of a purple patch for the hosts, but Glenn Morrison’s side were unable to add to their tally and it was London who scored last through Matt Garside.

Share this post