Rams rumble Haven in Cumbria

Rams rumble Haven in Cumbria

A RESURGENT second-half performance by Dewsbury saw them score 22 points and gain the league double over Whitehaven in Cumbria.

The win was the Rams’ third in a row and sees them overtake London to go sixth in the Kingstone Press Championship.

Anthony Thackeray was instrumental in the middle for the visitors and this allowed the travelling Rams to score first.

Winger Dale Morton collecting Thackeray’s kick to the right, before going past Haven’s Craig Calvert. Brett Seymour added the extras from the touchline.

The home side quickly responded when Grant Gore shipped the ball out to Declan Hulme, who went past several would-be defenders to get Whitehaven on the scoreboard.

Louis Jouffret converted, in what was the hosts’ only try of the first half. Glenn Morrison made a quadruple substitution after 25 minutes, which saw Paul Jackson, Byron Smith, Joel Farrell and Nathan Conroy enter the field.

The four replacements made a sudden impact for the Rams, as they put pressure on the Cumbrian outfit.

Dewsbury got their second try of the afternoon when they capitalised on a Haven error.

Gore’s long pass found itself out of the field of play, instead of the arms of Jordan Burns, and this allowed the Rams to bombard the Haven line.

On-loan hooker Conroy found a gap behind the markers and dived over from dummy half.

Seymour converted to regain the lead going into the break. At half time it was very much anyone’s game, with both sides not showing any kind of dominance with the ball in hand.

However, as the match resumed, it was James Coyle’s side that got the first points of the second half after just a minute of play.

Stand-off Dion Aiye threw an interesting pass, just missing a Dewsbury defender looking to intercept. The ball then fell to Chris Taylor, who broke clear and eventually found Calvert who turned Rams full back Ryan Fieldhouse to go over for an unconverted score.

Many of the home and away supporters thought this may turn the game in the Haven’s favour, but it was Dewsbury who were spurred on by the opposition’s try.

Morrison’s side ran in three tries in the space of 12 minutes to put the game to bed, Scott Hale grabbing the first.

Hale, playing in the centres for the second week in a row, got Dewsbury’s third score before Toby Adamson barged his way over for the fourth.

Seymour added just one conversion before being replaced by Matty Wildie with a suspected leg injury.

Just after the hour mark Morton got his second of the game, after taking on the Whitehaven defence, and he converted his own score.

Loose forward Ben Davies crossed the line for Haven with 10 minutes to go but it was too little too late as Dewsbury resisted any further attacks from the hosts.

As the Rams closed out the game they forged another attack but Conroy failed to scoot over from acting half.

But Farrell did manage just that, as he bundled his way over to get Dewsbury’s sixth of the afternoon, despite calls for a knock-on by the home players. Morton slotted home the conversion to round off the scoring.

Share this post