Rams’ revenge over Hawks

Rams’ revenge over Hawks

Dewsbury gained sweet revenge over Hunslet by dumping the South Leeds side out of the Challenge Cup with what was, in the end, a comfortable 31-16 victory.

The Hawks were victorious in the league fixture between the two sides in March, in what Dewsbury coach Glenn Morrison called the worst performance he had seen from his side during his time at the club.

However, the Dewsbury head coach was happier with his side’s performance in this fixture.

“We’re through and we’ve got a smile on our face,” he said. In the last few weeks we’ve won games, but they felt like losses because we haven’t played well, and to be fair way off where we need to be.

“Now we have got a chance to get a good draw and test ourselves against a Super League side.

“The game against Hunslet earlier on in the season was probably the only game we didn’t deserve to win and so we wanted to show what we are really like, so to get a win nullifies that result.”

With a potential match up against one of the game’s heavyweights  on offer, both sides had plenty to play for, but it was the Rams who handled the blustery conditions better and ensured they would be in the hat for the sixth round.

In a tense opening period, where both sides were happy trying to get the upper hand, it was Dewsbury who crossed first as Anthony Thackeray - who caused the Hunslet defence problems all afternoon - danced his way through and found Matthew Haggerty supporting on his shoulder.

With both sides struggling to complete their sets in the windy conditions, Hunslet equalised.

Charlie Martin broke through some weak Dewsbury defence down the right hand side 40 metres out and offloaded to Liam Mackay who just had enough pace to go over.

Hunslet had further opportunities to go in front, with the home side feeling they should have been awarded a penalty try through Jimmy Watson.

Simon Brown also had a fairly easy looking penalty kick at goal, but pulled it to the wrong side of the uprights.

Dewsbury then punished these missed chances when James Delaney touched down after a Scott Hale break to send his side in at the break in front.

The second-half started much like the first with both sides having chances, but ultimately struggling to convert possession into points.

The Rams dealt a quick double blow to effectively seal the contest with the ever-impressive Thackeray and Hyde linking up to send Jason Crookes over before Makali Aizue made up for dropping the ball over the line minutes earlier with some neat footwork.

Hunslet did give themselves a slight chance when first Luke Briscoe dived over in the corner and then Martin managed to somehow power his way over, but their efforts were in vain as Dewsbury had the final word with a showcase try from Aaron Brown who won the race to Hyde’s chip into the corner.

Picture: Steve Horsfall

Share this post