Rams lose high-scoring thriller

A THRILLING and tense match for the second time this season between Dewsbury and Whitehaven threw up 74 points, as Haven completed the double over the Rams despite the visitors’ best efforts in the final minutes - writes Jordan Weir. 

In a high-scoring game with 13 tries, split 7-6, it was Haven who opened the scoring. Carr split the defence open with an outrageous dummy and went through the gap untouched after 11 minutes.

The home side scored again exactly 11 minutes later, this time through ex-Super League winger Shaun Ainscough after a brilliant fifth tackle option from Brett Seymour.

Cain Southernwood converted both tries to give the Cumbrians a 12-point cushion. But that lead didn’t last long as two tries in three minutes allowed the visitors right back into the game.

Tries from Anthony Thackeray and Shane Grady came on the back of good attacking work plus ill-discipline from the home side.

Kieran Hyde converted both tries in what was a near-faultless performance from the kicking tee.

The first half looked to be coming to an end as a draw until Calvert crossed for the first of his trio of the afternoon to allow Haven to take a slender half-time lead as Southernwood missed the conversion.

The match kicked into life in the second half with entertainment from the first second to the last.

Southernwood knocked on from the kick off to hand Dewsbury the initiative and they scored through Karl Pryce leaving the score 16-18.

For the next five minutes the visitors battered the home side’s line after a 40/20 from Thackeray.

But they could not break through the outstanding defence and Haven then found a purple patch, scoring three tries in five minutes.

The tries came from Calvert, Carr and Ainscough, with the try of the match Carr’s.

It was another fifth-tackle play, but this time organised from Southernwood, who chipped over the top.

The ball took a wicked bounce and bounced over his head as well as missing two Dewsbury defenders.

Another wild bounce seemed to take the ball away from Carr, but he then swung his leg at it and put a kick through from nowhere.

He chased, grabbed the ball and ran through to put it down with the home fans celebrating the amazing score.

Southernwood converted that effort and the other two to leave the score at 34-18 and the game looking over as a contest.

But the Rams hit back with 20 left on the clock through Sam Wood and Hyde’s conversion brought them back to within 10.

But with 10 minutes to go the lead was extended again as Calvert completed his hat-trick after a break from Ainscough.

Carr converted in place of the now injured Southernwood.

The game once again looked over but Dewsbury scored twice in the 72nd and 77th minutes through Scott Hale and Tommy Gallagher.

Hyde converted Hale’s try but rushed with the Gallagher conversion and put it wide and despite their best efforts the Rams could not snatch a draw.

Photo: Steve Horsfall

Share this post