Overthorpe Sports Club book place in second round

THE FIRST round of the Heavy Woollen Challenge Cup saw a couple of high-scoring matches, the biggest of which was Overthorpe Sports Club’s 10-6 win at previously unbeaten Slip Inn Hounds.

Four goals from Elliot Brooke, doubles from Jack Allerton and Kristian Angus, one from Jordan Angus and a Steve Jordan penalty completed the away side’s scoring.

Sam Ansell hit a hat-trick in reply for Slip Inn.

Mirfield Town thrashed Hanging Heaton Cricket Club 10-1 to comfortably book their place in the next round.

Lee Bennett and Paul Smith both hit braces in Navigation’s 4-2 win at The Yorkshireman, who replied through Nathan Alexander and an own goal.

In the only other tie, Birstall Cricket Club won 4-2 against Birkenshaw thanks to a double from Reece Scholes plus one apiece from Joe Lytle and Troy Bagshaw.

Tom Smith and Nathan Clarke replied for Birkenshaw.

In the Heavy Woollen Challenge Trophy Roberttown Rovers eased into round two after winning 7-0 against Clifton Rangers A.

Nathan McDaid led the way with a hat-trick, Adam Williams bagged a brace, with Dean Vernon and Max Vernon also hitting the net.

Wire Works also progressed to the next round after beating Ravenswharfe 6-2.

Craig Smith and Nolan St Hillaire both hit doubles for Wire Works with Danny Moulsher and Danny Johnson also netting.

Asif Basharat (two) and Bilal Munir scored for Snowdon in their 3-2 win over Deighton WMC.

In the Premier Division Matthew Bugg hit five goals as leaders St John Fisher maintained their perfect start to the season in a 12-0 thrashing of Woodman Batley Carr.

Steven Wales and Matthew Thompson both hit doubles for Fisher who also had Rob Hiscox, Reece Pollard and Ricky Newman on the scoresheet.

Woodkirk Valley are in second spot, albeit six points adrift, after they won 9-1 at Heckmondwike Sports Club thanks to a Christy Woods hat-trick, two from Gareth Huxall, plus goals from Jonny Downey, Jack Darrington, Gavin Huxall and Will Clapham.

Kieran Senior hit the consolation for Heckmondwike.

Mount Pleasant climbed to sixth place after Faisal Adam and Abdullah Mayat both hit doubles in a 7-1 win over bottom-side AFC Chickenley. Adam Rawat, Adam Ali Ravat and Fayyaz Bobat hit the others, with Michael Chadwick replying for the visitors.

Linthwaite continue to set the pace in the Championship after Courtney Allette and Elliot Wilkinson both scored twice in a 4-1 win at Clifton Rangers.

Wellington Westgate are second after recording the highest score of the day, winning 15-2 at Town Rangers.

Adam Walsh and Kyle Douglas both hit four goals, with Paul Pyke (hat-trick) Mark McSherry (two), Nicolas McMahon and an own goal completing the scoring.

Battyeford recorded their first win of the season with a close 4-3 victory over St John Fisher Reserves thanks to goals from Joe Green, Daniel Paris, Connor Wood and Guy Hollinshead.

Old Bank WMC lead the way in Division One after Robert Evans fired a hat-trick and Luke Duncan bagged a brace in a 5-1 win at Saville Arms, who replied through Kieran Corley. Three points behind are second-placed Scholes Athletic, who had a Dean Commins brace and a strike from Mick Edson to thank for a 3-1 win at Birstall St Patricks (Scot Minto).

FC Liversedge edged out a 3-2 win at bottom-side St Ignatius thanks to a Lee McKeown double, plus an own goal. St Ignatius replied through Gareth Matthews and Matthew Askin.

With Division Two leaders Wire Works in cup action, second-placed Overthorpe Sports Club Reserves moved to within three points of the top with a 6-5 win over Linthwaite Reserves.

Tom Hirst led the way with a hat-trick, with Craig Hampshire, Lee Davey and Michael Hutton also finding the net.

In the only other game, Westgate 23 won 3-0 against Wike Horse.

Share this post