Ossett held again despite Greaves hat-trick heroics

Ossett held again despite Greaves hat-trick heroics
Photo: John Hirst

TOM GREAVES scored a hat-trick for Ossett United but it wasn’t enough for the three points as Droylsden came back from 3-1 down to claim a draw last weekend (3-3). 

Ossett looked set for only a second league win of the season when Greaves added to his first-half goal with two close-range strikes in the space of six minutes in the second half.

But the away side responded with two quick goals of their own to draw back level as United, for whom Nick Guest failed to convert a penalty just before the break, were left disappointed.

Ossett had all of the early chances, with Droylsden goalkeeper Chris Thompson using his feet to deny Nick Guest before stopping a Greaves flick and later keeping the United striker out with a full-stretch save.

Greaves wasn’t to be denied in the 21st minute though as he pulled out into space at a corner, the defender only cleared as far him as he managed to fire through the bodies and into the net.

United were a goal up and had a strong case for being a player up as well when Danny Wilkins headbutted Jack Stockdill following a foul on the Droylsden man, but the referee didn’t produce any card.

Droylsden’s Reece Webb-Foster, making his return to Ingfield following a loan spell at the start of the season, had an effort tipped wide by Brett Souter before playing a part in their equaliser.

The winger took a quick throw-in after Souter had put the ball out of play and, with the goalkeeper still out of position, Jamie Frost played across goal for Rhys Clooney to tap in.

Ossett had a fantastic chance to edge back in front before the break when Guest moved into the box and defender Phil Clarke stopped the ball with his hand. Guest stepped up to take the spot-kick himself but could only drag his effort wide.

That meant the sides started the second half level and it would be up to Greaves to make the difference again with a quick-fire double.

Ossett were back in front just before the hour mark as Jake Maltby, making an impressive debut at right-back on loan from Farsley Celtic, crossed and Greaves got ahead of his man at the near post to finish.

Six minutes later, another cross from the right had a good effect as Knowles swung the ball in from deep. Guest couldn’t strike cleanly across goal but Greaves was in the right place to tap in at the far post.

That lead would only be a comfortable one for a couple of minutes, as Webb-Foster halved the deficit by getting ahead of his marker to knock a Domaine Rouse cross past Souter.

The net was bulging again five minutes later. A Droylsden free kick rebounded off the wall to Steve Rigby who swung it into the box, the ball was kept alive and Rouse turned and found the bottom corner.

Substitute Aaron Haswell had the best chance for a winner but skied his effort after the keeper had punched the ball, and both sides had to settle for a point.

Share this post