National Cup joy for Trojans' history makers

National Cup joy for Trojans' history makers

THORNHILL Trojans’ memorable season continued after they clinched their first ever BARLA National Cup with a thrilling 17-14 win over National Conference League Division One side Myton Warriors.

The Trojans took a large following to Featherstone’s Big Fellas Stadium and they weren’t disappointed.

The NCL Division Two outfit took the lead through Danny Ratcliffe who latched on to a Jake Wilson pass to cross over near the posts. The opening try of the final was converted by Sam Ratcliffe.

Thornhill did suffer a blow when Liam Morley’s match ended prematurely after he took an elbow to the chest, but replacement Luke Haigh quickly got up to the speed of play, and when he was on the receiving end of a high tackle Sam Ratcliffe kicked the penalty goal to give is side an eight point lead.

But Myton showed their potential and got right back into the game with a try from winger Lee James.

Thornhill showed spirit throughout the contest, however, responding quickly  with their second try of the final.

Haigh was the provider for Sam Ratcliffe to touchdown for an unconverted try in the corner.

Moments later and Thornhill missed a glorious chance to gain a strong foothold in the game.

A clever Danny Ratcliffe kick made its way to James Craven but the ball bounced off his chest and the try scoring opportunity broke down.

And on the stroke of half time the Trojans suffered a set back when Myton’s Lee James went over for his second try to make the second period too close to call.

After Ash James converted the try the Trojans’ advantage was cut  to two points.

Thornhill coach James Ratcliffe opted to keep his players out on the pitch at half time in a bid to prevent his side from getting carried away with the occasion.

The move appeared to have worked when the Trojans crossed the whitewash early in the second period but the effort was ruled out for a knock on.

In a tense affair not much happened in the second half, until Lee James completed his hat-trick to give the Warriors the lead for the first time in the final with time running out for the Trojans.

But James Ratcliffe’s men battled hard in the last ten minutes to salvage a desperate situation.

James Craven made a vital break to gain Thornhill valuable yards and when the Overthorpe Park side forced Myton to drop out from under their own posts it allowed Wilson to make a promising run down the centre of the field.

Subsequently the ball found its way to George Stott who powered his way over to regain the lead for his side.

But with just a two point margin for error Thornhill new the game was still anyone's, but, when Danny Ratcliffe was successful with a drop goal attempt in the dying minutes the Trojans new they had made history and would lift the National Cup trophy for the first time in the club’s history.

Share this post