Morro's men thumped by Fev

Morro's men thumped by Fev

DEWSBURY shipped five unanswered tries, as many goals and a late one-pointer as Featherstone cruised to an easy 31-0 win leaving Glenn Morrison's men looking over their shoulders in the Championship.

The victory cements Rovers' place in the league's all-important top four making Featherstone boss Jon Sharp a very happy man, he said: “It acts as perfect preparation for the Summer Bash. It is always tough to come here and it is always tough to beat Dewsbury.

“It has not been an easy game today. It has been a really tough and physical encounter.

“There was lots of skill in there as well and defensively, keeping a side to zero is a fantastic achievement anyway.

Rams counterpart Morrison said it had been a “frustrating” afternoon.

He added: “I don’t think we deserved that scoreline. I thought the boys defended really well at times.

“I expected a tough game, they have a great side, but I also expected an even game, which we didn’t get.

“That will be something I will have to deal with, with the officials, after.

“We did trouble them and I am proud of the effort they put in. We came close on a couple of occasions but everyone is talking about things apart from the football, which they shouldn’t be.”

Dewsbury went close to opening the scoring inside the opening 90 seconds.

Little separated the two sides during the opening quarter of an hour, though the Rams found themselves a man down after 12 minutes when Jason Crookes was sin-binned for a high tackle.

Featherstone made the most of their numerical advantage and Misi Taulapapa broke the deadlock. Jamie Foster was unable to add the extras.

Dewsbury were reduced to 11 men when Matt Adamson was shown a yellow card for a professional foul.

And matters worsened for Morrison’s men on the half-hour mark when ex-Batley Bulldogs forward John Davies powered over to double Rovers’ lead, Foster this time improving to make it 10-0.

Crookes, back from the sin-bin, had a try ruled out shortly before the interval and he and his fellow Rams picked up from where they had left off following the resumption.

However, despite eight minutes of Rams pressure,  Rovers held firm.

Taulapapa, who himself had been sin-binned late in the first half, scored a third Featherstone try and Foster made it 16-0 from the kicking tee.

Six minutes later, Foster was back in action with the boot, successfully goaling a penalty to extend Rovers’ lead, before interchange Kyle Briggs landed a drop-goal.

The home side were handed a huge chance to make amends as Featherstone made a mess of the restart.

But, once again, the away team defended their line valiantly and went on to pour misery on the Rams.

Jamie Cording scored on 64 minutes and Hardman sealed an impressive Rovers return with little more than five minutes remaining at the Tetley’s Stadium.

Foster was on target with both conversion attempts, sealing a near-perfect victory.

Dewsbury’s ninth defeat of the season leaves them in eighth spot with hopes of a top four finish looking like a distant dream.

Share this post