Morrison's men make it back-to-back victories

DEWSBURY RAMS produced a professional performance to emerge 46-10 winners over an indisciplined and injury-stricken Oldham outfit at the Tetley’s Stadium.

Rams’ second rower Scott Hale made his 100th appearance for the club and played a key role as his side won the battle in the middle of the park.

The hosts enjoyed a completion rate well over 80 per cent throughout the game and had established a healthy 22-0 lead by the interval.

Last week’s match winner Paul Sykes kicked nine from nine to maintain a perfect record now stretching 160 minutes.

Rams head coach Glenn Morrison said: “We completed our sets at a high percentage again today, and when we do that we’re a match for anybody in this competition.

“We have a tough game against Halifax coming up, and they have big ambitions in this competition, but we’re focusing on finishing the regular season in a positive manner and heading into the Super 8s with momentum behind us.”

The hosts hit the front in the seventh minute when Dalton Grant snapped up centre partner Jason Crookes’ pass to slide over. Sykes added an excellent touchline conversion.

The two teams traded chances in the minutes that followed but it was the Rams who capitalised on Darnell McIntosh’s error from a grubber kick in the 17th minute, when Matt Groat provided the foil for Dom Speakman to dummy his way over.

Sykes converted and he was on target less than ten minutes later when the hosts opted for a penalty after the Rams were held down following Dale Morton’s interception.

The penalty made it 14-0 and things got worse for Oldham seven minutes before half-time when Crookes dummied and shot through a gap before sliding for a try which Sykes converted to make it 20-0.

And the former Bradford Bulls player’s second penalty of the afternoon, following three consecutive indiscretions from the visitors, on the stroke of half-time made it 22-0, it left the away side with a mountain to climb in the second period.

Oldham started the second half with more energy, and they chanced their arm, but early opportunities to get on the score sheet were wasted.

Rams substitute Etu Uaisele capitalised on weak Oldham defending in the 43rd minute to slide over and arguably put the result beyond doubt, Sykes converting, before Oldham finally found a response through Joe Burke, who twisted over the try line to ground the ball.

Roper added the extras but the Rams quickly went back on the attack, and Rob Spicer was perfectly positioned to snap up Andy Kain’s chip and stroll over under the posts for Sykes to add his seventh goal of the afternoon.

Three successive penalties resulted in referee Joe Cobb placing Oldham on a team warning, and when Gareth Owen was penalised for a high tackle the yellow card was produced.

Kain made the most of the hosts’ numerical advantage by dummying through a gap in the Roughyeds defence and a chip from the base of the scrum, snapped up by Dalton Grant, laid the platform for Dale Morton to scoot over.

Sykes converted both tries to make it 46-6 but there was time for Oldham to add a second consolation score.

Danny Langtree’s quick thinking and grubber kick produced a try for Jamal Chisholm, which put the visitors in double figures, but it provide cant consolation for Scott Naylor’s side, who had been comfortable winners over the Rams when the two sides met at Bower Fold earlier in the season.

The defeat means Oldham remain in a relegation dogfight, while the Rams’ second win in as many weeks means they can afford to look up the table following fleeting relegation worries during the past month.

Share this post