Moorenders slide further into trouble

Moorenders slide further into trouble

CLECKHEATON were beaten 25-15 by Kendal in National League Three North as the Moorenders’ woeful run of form continued.

The hosts went behind early on to a Nathan Woof try. The Hornets full-back executed a speculative chip over the Cleckheaton defence for the game’s first score. Glenn Weightman converted for the visitors.

Shortly afterwards Weightman added a penalty goal to give his side a 10-0 lead.

The home side responded well, however. The Moorenders looked a class above their opponents and got their first points on the board courtesy of Josh Hall’s penalty kick.

This was followed by Cleckheaton’s first try of the game. Jack Seddon was the man with the touchdown at the side of the sticks after he raced through a gap in the Kendal defence. Hall converted.

Cleckheaton were dominating the game in the lead-up to half-time and their territory and possession paid off with a try in the corner from Martin Woodhead, who marked his return to the side in fine style.

With a 15-10 lead at the break Cleckheaton were hoping they could hold out and end their five-game losing streak.

The Moorenders promised much at the start of the season, but careless errors and poor decision making has proved costly in a lot of their narrow defeats this term.

A short grubber kick from Kendal at the start of the second period immediately put the hosts under pressure.

With new-found enthusiasm after a poor first-half showing Kendal turned the ball over and Weighton, who threw and outrageous dummy, darted through a gap and went over for a try. He converted his own touchdown to give his side the lead for a second time in the afternoon.

Below-par kicking prevented the hosts from finding a way back into the contest in the second half.

The home side were punished for their missed opportunities when Danny Baker went over for the Cumbrians.

Shortly afterwards Weightman kicked a penalty to give his side a 10-point advantage.

The Moorenders failed to reduce Kendal’s lead in the closing stages and as a result missed out on a bonus point, despite having a penalty late on which drifted wide of the posts.

The defeat leaves Cleckheaton in 11th spot in the league standings as they regroup ahead of a trip to play third-placed Billingham tomorrow (Sat, 2.15pm).

Share this post