Moorenders falter against Dinnington

Moorenders falter against Dinnington

Cleckheaton’s torrid start to the new year continued as they lost their fifth-straight game of 2018.

The Moorenders were edged out 9-5 by second-bottom Dinnington in a low-scoring encounter. 

After encouraging performances against Alnwick and Driffield, Cleck were hoping to secure their first win of the year against the division’s 13th-placed side. 

The South Yorkshire side battled hard in the quagmire conditions but the Spen Valley men’s lack of discipline proved to be costly. 

Cleckheaton received two yellow cards during the game, meaning they played a quarter of the fixture a man light. 

And Dinnington took full advantage of Cleck’s poor discipline, earning their nine points from the kicking tee. 

Dinnington enjoyed the majority of possession and territory in the opening 20 minutes but could not break down a dogged Cleck defence. 

The Moorenders’ first foray into the opposition half looked like it would provide the opening score of the game. Mike Swetman spotted Mikey Hayward in space on the wing and put a kick toward the winger. 

However, instead of the ball landing in the arms of Hayward it went flying over the dead-ball line and into the adjoining Starbucks drive-thru. 

At the change of ends the score remained at 0-0. 

Cleckheaton started the second half in a positive manner and after a penalty close to Dinnington’s line the hosts scored the first, and only, try of the game. 

A good line-out drill led to a rolling maul, which helped put man-of-the-match Thiu Barnard over the whitewash. 

The visitors hit back when Andy Piper was sin-binned for not rolling away and the successful kick brought the score to 5-3.

Cleck continued to press forward with Hayward trying his hardest to get purchase on the boggy surface. 

The away side were then awarded a second penalty in front of the posts and found range to put themselves one point in front. 

A few minutes later Ronan Evans found himself in the sin bin as he was yellow carded for an infringement. 

With play drawing to a close Dinnington kicked a third penalty goal and proceeded to run down the clock to claim the four points. 

Cleck’s losing bonus point put them one point ahead of rivals Huddersfield YMCA. 

The Moorenders travel up the A1 tomorrow afternoon to take on high-flying Morpeth, who currently sit in second place.

Share this post