Moor start slow but destroy Wibsey

After a slow start and going behind in the early stages, Dewsbury Moor won 56-22 against a battling Wibsey.

The home side were the first to strike when Wibsey centre  Nick Fontaine went over.

Scrum-half Luke Hellawell added the conversion as the Warriors took an early lead.

Moor quickly countered with Danny Wardman, Jordan Foster and Bradley Foster making inroads for Peter Robinson to score the Moor’s opening try. Jacob Flathers converted.

Despite hard tackling by Cameron Bruce, Wibsey’s Fontaine was proving to be a handful, and he made the break which sent in Jimmy Waddington to put Wibsey further ahead.  Hellawell made it 12-6 with the goal.

Wibsey maintained their go-forward, and Anthony Boardman saved Moor by diving bravely on a dangerous grubber kick.

Dewsbury Moor weathered the storm, and after Jordan Foster joined into the counter-attack James Eatherly powered over, Flathers converted.

The lively half-back pairing of Robinson and Dean Arundel was opening gaps for Moor, and good centre play by James Leatherly resulted in winger Flathers going over on Wibsey’s left – and he coneverted his own try.

Brad Foster then sent Tobias Richardson through a gap, he offloaded to full-back Jordan Foster for Moor’s fourth try. Flathers goaled.

As half-time approached the elusive Jordan Foster made a break which led to him going in for a fine individual touchdown. Moor led 28-12 at the interval.

At the resumption of play Wibsey had a mini-revival, as they came off the ropes and caught the Moor napping with a try by James Morton. Hellawell goaled to keep his side in the game, trailing only by 10 points at 28-18.

Good play from Arundel saw Andrew Robinson then storm over for another converted try.

Then good team passing allowed Boardman to sprint over. Flathers adding the extras.

Flathers then was in the action as he out-sprinted the would-be tacklers with a 40-metre sprint to the line.

He also goaled to make the score to 46-18.

A lack of concentration let Wibsey’s Danny Conroy in for an unconverted try, but the Maroons came again as Ash Boddy scored and Flathers added the goal.

Moor had saved the best effort until the end as they sat deep inside their own half.

Robinson threw a long pass to find Leatherly, he then showed pace and determination to go 80 metres for a fine individual effort to bring the game to an end.

Share this post