Maun delight as Maroons go through

Maun delight as Maroons go through

DEWSBURY MOOR progressed to the third round of the Challenge Cup with a hard-fought victory at East Leeds.

Moor did the double over their opponents in the league last season, but were always going to have to work hard to get the win.

Coach Danny Maun was delighted to see his side follow up the triumph over Skirlaugh in the first round with another top display.

“It was a good win. It’s quite a hostile place to go is East Leeds, when they have all the home supporters there, so the lads played really well,” he said.

“We had few players coming back in, James Delaney played really well for us (as did) Ben Adams. 

“It was close, but I think we had three tries disallowed and we bombed about three chances as well so we could have had a bigger score. 

“I think it’s just a bit of composure when we got through, we just didn’t take our chances and I said to the lads that you can’t afford to not score. 

“But we did well in the second half and we scored two important tries which kept them at bay.

“It was quite windy and quite boggy underfoot, but we played better than the week before which is a positive. 

“We adapted a bit better to the conditions than East Leeds and that’s the pleasing thing. The lads are learning every game and getting better with every game.”

Moor struck first when man of the match Jamie Samme powered through the defence to send in Sam Thornton after 10 minutes, which Aiden Ineson couldn’t convert. 

Moor were placed on a team warning after a raft of penalties, and the pressure they were under told as Easts responded with an unconverted Shane Plunkett try for 4-4.

Conditions worsened but Moor coped better in adding the next try through Samme after great work from substitute Delaney and Jordan Foster. Brad Foster took over the kicking duties for a 10-4 Moor lead.

Both sides were reduced to 12 men when Easts’ Jack Norfolk and Moor’s Ineson were off for dissent on both counts. Moor’s lead was cut to 10-8 going into the break after Jason Priestley went in for a try with a minute to go.

Moor hit back five minutes after the restart though, when substitute Anthony Boardman finished off a move created by Adams and Pete Robinson as Foster converted. The visitors were then frustrated by having a brace of try claims chalked off for forward passes.

The home side replied on 48 minutes with an Adam Wrigg try to reduce arrears to four points before Boardman added his second with 10 minutes left.

Easts scored the final try of the game from Norfolk with seven to go, but Moor held on to progress to round three.

Their next tie sees them travel to NCL Premier Division side West Hull and, despite avoiding the League One sides in the draw, Maun expects a tough challenge.

“They’re one of the best (amateur sides) in the country,” he said.

“I’m happy with it. I watched their game recently, I’ve done research and they’ve got a few ex-players who I know of. 

“It will be a good challenge for us, and if we go there with a good attitude then there’s no reason why we can’t get a win. I believe we can do it. 

“We’ve got a good squad down there, good players, and when they realise how good they are, we can go anywhere and get a result.”

Maun also admits that the cup run will give the club a “big boost” ahead of the start of their Division One campaign.

They begin their league season on March 2 with a home fixture against Stanningley, before heading to East Yorkshire for their Challenge Cup tie the following weekend.

Share this post