Liversedge FC battle for a point

Liversedge FC battle for a point

LIVERSEDGE battled hard for a respectable point with a 2-2 draw away at Staveley Miners Welfare.

Striker Joe Walton bagged his 12th and 13th goals of the season for the visitors, who ended their losing run with a goalless draw against Handsworth Parramore the  week before and followed it up with another point in Derbyshire.

Staveley made the brighter start to the contest, with the first shot flying past the post as they dominated possession in the opening 10 minutes.

That counted for nothing though when Liversedge took the lead, with Walton scoring his 10th league goal of the campaign to open the scoring.

The hosts responded well and kept on the front foot, and goalkeeper Harrison Davison-Hale made a good save after they had broken through with a swift move.

A good ball into the box struck the hand of Sedge skipper Tom Jackson, and that gave Joe Pugh the opportunity to fire in from the penalty spot and level the scores.

Walton looked to drive his team forward as ever and tried to take on the defence on his own, with the ball breaking to Brandon Kane who fired wide.

Overall it was a good response from Liversedge, who enjoyed a better spell at the end of a difficult first half.

They need only two minutes to make an impact after the break, with a surging run from Rhys Davies catching the Staveley defence off guard, and the ball was played into the main man Walton who struck home from six yards for his second of the game.

Davison-Hale made a fantastic point-blank save to preserve the lead, keeping out Adam Baskerville’s powerful shot after a great run by Robson Doolan.

At the other end, a good ball down the right from Aaron Fell released the dangerous Davies, whose shot was kept out by the Staveley keeper at his near post.

It was the home side who scored the next goal though, when Sam Finlaw’s scuffed strike fell to substitute Jahmal Riley running in behind from the left, and he finished smartly to level things up again.

Within a minute Staveley had a goal ruled out for offside, and that was swiftly followed by a big chance for Sedge when Jackson’s header smashed the crossbar from a corner.

That set the tone for an end-to-end final 20 minutes, as both sides searched for a win to lift themselves up the table.

Walton had a big chance to seal his hat-trick when he headed over from a corner, while last-ditch defending was required to halt a counter attack from the hosts.

The two sides kept attacking each other into injury time, but the respective defences held out and both had to settle for the draw.

Winless run ends in cup

A ROY FOGARTY brace helped Liversedge to end a 10-match winless run as they saw off Campion 3-2 in the West Riding County Cup.

The visitors gave them a tough game despite playing in the division below, but the victory was all that mattered and Jonathan Rimmington’s side got the job done to progress to the next round.

They began promisingly and took the lead after seven minutes, with Marc Lumb’s controlled finish providing the best possible start.

Red Bates dragged a shot wide as they looked to keep up the pressure, but instead it was Campion who got the next goal.

Indecisiveness from Harry Stead in the Liversedge goal allowed Laurence Sorhaindo to pounce, and after that the visitors continued to enjoy a dominant spell after that.

However, the course of the game changed dramatically with two goals in the space of three minutes from striker Fogarty.

The first came on the counter thanks to a fierce near post drive which caught out goalkeeper Declan Lambton.

He then started off a move with a pass wide and finished it by getting on the end of the resulting cross and coolly slotting the ball home.

A poor clearance from Lambton then presented Sedge with a chance to extend their lead as the ball went straight to Bates, but the winger put his effort wide.

As the first half came to a close it was Campion on top, and they continued where they left off after the break.

In the 57th minute they were finally able to halve the deficit, with Alex Cusack chipping the goalkeeper after being played in behind the defence.

A couple of minutes after the goal, Stead had to make a flying save to prevent an equaliser, and although the visitors had further chances the game increasingly became a midfield battle as the sides struggled to create.

Joe Walton had the chance to seal Sedge’s place in the next round when he ran in behind with four minutes remaining, but the keeper came out on top in the one-on-one to keep the contest alive.

Campion were unable to find a way through late on though, and Liversedge hung on for a potentially crucial win in the course of their whole season.

Share this post