Liversedge close in on promotion places

Liversedge close in on promotion places

LIVERSEDGE moved level on points with third-place Staveley thanks to a third win on the bounce – and scored four goals for the third time in a row (4-1). 

After victories away at Bottesford Town and Barton Town either side of the New Year had lifted them back up the table, they closed in on the top three with a superb win over Garforth, in their first match at Clayborn since mid-November.

Oliver Fearon and Paul Walker put Sedge  2-0 in front at half-time, with Alfie Raw adding a third from the spot in the second half and Joe Walton rounding off another impressive result.

It was a scrappy start to the game in blustery conditions, with Raw putting the first effort of the game wide.

The first shot on target led to the first goal after 23 minutes. A long throw was allowed to run straight through bodies and find Fearon, and the striker flicked it into the bottom corner for his 11th goal of the season.

Another long throw caused problems as Walton, making his return from a three-match suspension, headed wide of the post.

But just a minute later, Walton helped to hand the dangerous Walker a tap-in to make it 2-0 going into the break.

Garforth came out with more threat at the start of the second half, smashing the Liversedge crossbar with a Sam Denton free-kick from the edge of the box.

And just three minutes later the ball was in the opposite net. From a corner, a couple of shots were blocked before skipper Tom Jackson was fouled in the scramble. The referee pointed to the penalty spot and Raw stepped up to convert for a sixth goal in the last four matches.

Fearon could have made things even worse for Garforth shortly after the restart but he misfired a good chance at the back post.

The fourth goal came in the 69th minute as yet another throw-in gave the defence nightmares. This time it was sliced by a visiting player into the path of Walton, who wasn’t going to miss the target with his header.

Garforth hit back a couple of minutes later as a well-worked passing move was finished off neatly by Charlie Marshall.

Walton had a header tipped over the bar by opposition goalkeeper Toby Wells before chances came and went for both sides to add to the game’s five goals in the closing minutes.

Alex Lill produced a good save at full-stretch to punch clear a fine 30-yard effort from Joe Colley, before Sedge substitute Jake Thompson rattled the bar with his own ambitious strike.

Liversedge were denied the opportunity to keep their momentum going in midweek as Storm Brendan forced the postponement of their showdown with fellow promotion contenders Yorkshire Amateur.

Instead, they will return to action tomorrow (Saturday, kick-off 3pm) with a trip to Knaresborough Town, who are fourth-from-bottom and have won only once at home all season.

That fixture could see Mark Simpson make his debut for Sedge after the striker signed last week from Garforth, where he was the club’s record goalscorer.

Share this post