Lees Ward off Overthorpe threat in title push

THORNHILL LEES inched closer to the Heavy Woollen Sunday League PREMIER DIVISION title after winning the local derby against Overthorpe Sports Club 2-0. 

Lees had keeper Liam Ward to thank for keeping out early Overthorpe pressure, but Joel Clegg volleyed in after 30 minutes to put Lees one up.

Just after the interval James Wilson’s speculative shot deceived Overthorpe’s keeper Michael Williams and squirmed into the net.

Williams redeemed himself by saving well from Scott Hargreaves as Lees hung on for the points.

The gap to current leaders Birkenshaw is seven points, but Lees still have four games remaining.

Elsewhere, AFC Chickenley virtually guaranteed their safety as they beat bottom side Mirfield Town 5-3.

Shaun McDaid (brace), Tim Clarke, Michael Chadwick and Sean Housecroft netted for Chickenley.

Gibril Bojang (two) and Michael Rounding replied for Mirfield, who need to win their final two games to have any chance of staying up.

In the CHAMPIONSHIP St John Fisher Reserves enjoyed a 5-0 win over bottom club Hartshead.

A double from Chris Thornton, plus strikes from Dominic Simpson, Lee Wood plus an own-goal sees Fisher finish mid-table, with Hartshead joining Gomersal in Division One next season.

In DIVISION ONE, White Horse climbed to second place after  a 4-3 win over Batley Irish Nash.

Having completed all their fixtures, White Horse must wait to see if Mount Pleasant can pinch their runners-up spot in their final game with Savile Arms.

Woodkirk Valley completed their Division Two season with a 100 per cent record after winning 6-2 at St Ignatius.

Punch Bowl ensured they will finish third after hammering Overthorpe Sports Club Reserves 9-2.

Town Rangers lead DIVISION THREE by a single point after they won 6-1 at Black Horse Reserves.

Promoted alongside Town are Dewsbury Westside who won 4-3 at Cobras. Elsewhere, Hanging Heaton CC won 7-4 at home to Gomersal West.

Meanwhile, in the SPEN VALLEY LEAGUE Ravensthorpe Bulls climb up the table came to an end as they lost 7-4 at second-placed TVR United.

The loss means that the Bulls can only finish in third spot in the table, with one fixture at seventh-placed Girlington remaining.

In DIVISION ONE Howden Clough brought Cleckheaton Sporting’s miserable season to an end as they inflicted a 6-1 defeat on the bottom club.

Goals from Gary Woods, Simon Moore, Reece Scholes, Corey Starkey and Paul Doyle completed their scoring.

The win means that Howden Clough finish fifth in the table, whilst Sporting are still in last place with only one win from their 16 games.

Elsewhere, Savile United suffered a shock 6-1 defeat at the hands of rivals Savile Town.

Town defied their second bottom place in the table to gain victory over their second-placed neighbours.

The loss sets up a tense final fixture for Savile United, who host Smokin Aces in both teams’ final fixtures, with Aces needing to win by five clear goals to snatch the final promotion spot.

Share this post