Hard-fought win earns Thornhill Trojans promotion to Division Two

CELEBRATIONS are finally under way for Thornhill Trojans after their 22-18 away win at Crosfields secured them promotion out of National Conference League Division Three.

With two games still to play this season, Crosfields were resilient and refused to give up against the Trojans.

The home side took an early lead after Nathan Taylor touched down, capitalising on Thornhill’s laspe in concentration due to an incident on the touchline. Jack Reid converted.

Nevertheless, the visitors bounced back quickly when Joel Gibson made the most of Ben Kendall and Luke Haigh’s hard work to score an unconverted try.

In an incredibly physical contest, Joel Gibson had to receive treatment after being singled out with some heavy tackles by the Crosfield defence after his try.

The hosts’ hard-hitting formula seemed to be paying off when they extended their advantage when Reid touched down and converted the try.

But on the stroke of half-time the Trojans reduced their deficit to two points after man-of-the-match Liam Morley showed brilliant strength to hold off several tacklers and touch down. Gibson converted.

However, Thornhill’s hopes of the tide turning in the match were short-lived minutes into the second period when Jack Reid went over for his second try of the game which he also converted.

Thornhill were given a lifeline on 51 minutes when Crosfields found themselves a man down after Ian Bowden was punished for yet another crunching tackle on Gibson.

The visitors made the extra man count after Mendaugas Bendikas went over out wide to narrow the score. Morley converted

And with just seven minuts left on the clock Gibson broke away and found Bendikas in support who needed no second chances to touch down and give Thornhill the lead for the first time in the match. Morley converted.

Frustrations boiled over in the dying minutes which saw Crosfields’ Joe Moore and Thornhill’s Kendall set to the sin bin, but it didn’t deter from the visitors’ celebrations at the final whistle as it was confirmed they will be playing NCL Division Two rugby next season.

Share this post