Greaves and United on song in FA Cup

Greaves and United on song in FA Cup

OSSETT UNITED progressed to the second qualifying round of the FA Cup at the second time of asking, thrashing Thornaby 6-0 in a replay on Tuesday night with the help of four goals from Tom Greaves.

United were able to make their extra quality count three days after being held to a 2-2 draw by the lower-division side, with Greaves again on hot form following his brace in that tie.

He scored an extraordinary goal in the first half of the replay and another three after the break, despite also missing a penalty.

Nick Guest got them up and running with their first goal while Elliott Harrison was also on target against a Thornaby side that finished with 10 men.

Manager Andy Welsh said: “For the football club it’s great to get to the next round of the cup. With the manner that we did it, the lads were very professional with their mindset towards the game, and I think a result like that has been coming for a while.

“In cup games it’s always difficult when you go to teams that are lower down (the leagues). On Saturday we weren’t ruthless, and one thing we said tonight is that we need to be more ruthless, get the ball in certain areas and be braver with it. I thought every single player did what we asked them to do.”

United were forced into an early substitution, with the injured Panos Katasamagas replaced by Guest, and the forward clearly had something to prove as he opened the scoring with an overhead kick from a tight angle which flashed past goalkeeper James Danson.

Greaves had a shot palmed wide by Danson and then fired an Alex McQuade cross into the side netting, although Ossett then had few chances before his thunderbolt just before the break.

The striker was five yards from the angle of the box when Harrison knocked the ball to him, but he took one touch before striking an incredible half-volley over the keeper.

With the comfort of a two-goal advantage, Ossett were free to break loose in the second half and duly did so with two goals in the space of three minutes.

Greaves was on target for the first of those, beating Danson one-on-one after getting on the end of a through ball from Corey Gregory.

Thornaby were then caught napping again as Harrison picked the pocket of a defender and finished into the bottom corner.

Their cause was helped further when the visitors were reduced to 10 men, with Nathan Guru shown a second yellow card after an off-the-ball confrontation.

Greaves was desperate for his hat-trick and had the perfect chance to get it when Guest was felled by Jordan Wilson in the box, but Danson did well to get down to his right and keep out his penalty.

He finally got the treble when played through one-on-one again with six minutes to go, with time to place his strike past the keeper. Just a minute later he had a fourth, running onto another ball to score his eighth goal in three FA Cup games this season.

Ossett will travel to Colne in the next round on September 21. In the meantime, they host Ramsbottom United in the league tomorrow (Saturday, kick-off 3pm).

Share this post