Fifth defeat in a row for depleted Sharks

Fifth defeat in a row for depleted Sharks

A SECOND-HALF comeback from Crosfields condemned Shaw Cross Sharks to a fifth consecutive defeat in NCL Division Two.

The Sharks led 12-0 after an impressive first half, as robust defence combined with some smart attacking play with Sam Ottewell and Declan Brereton scoring tries.

However, a depleted side struggled after the break under near-constant pressure as the home side turned the match around to win.

Shaw Cross handed a debut to second-rower Daniel Irvine, while Paul March and Ben Lyles returned to the side for the first time this season.

They made a solid start and claimed the first points after 12 minutes when, after Owen Lumb had weaved round the defence and won a penalty, the ball was moved left and full-back Ottewell stepped past his man to score.

March added the conversion and then made it 8-0 with a penalty goal, after strong defence denied Crosfields the chance to score.

A March 40/20 gave the Sharks more good position as they kept on the front foot, and a few minutes later the lead was extended to 12-0 as Callum Barker ran at the line and delivered a perfectly-timed pass for Brereton to race clear.

That was how it remained going into half-time, thanks to a superb defensive effort from Luke Somers to prevent what looked to be a certain Crosfields try in the corner in the final minute.

However, errors right from the beginning of the second half made the final 40 minutes much tougher. They allowed Crosfields’ kick-off to bounce and run out, inviting pressure which eventually told as Elliott Bugden-Bridge went over for their first try.

The home side were in again five minutes later, as a good offload sent Joe Clarke away and he found John Whittaker to finish the move. Luke Walker added both conversions to level the scores at 12-12.

Mistakes ensured that they had to keep defending their own line, although they were handed a reprieve when Dan Reid dropped the ball with the line begging after a cross-field kick to the winger in space.

They couldn’t hold on forever and as the clock ticked past the hour mark, Louis Wainwright crossed for Crosfields to give them the lead for the first time.

Shaw Cross then kicked the restart out on the full, bringing yet more pressure on their line as the ball was moved right for Aaron Holliday to run into the corner and made it 22-12, and a tiring side could find no response in the final 15 minutes.

Share this post