Cromack is late hero for Liversedge

Cody Cromack scored a last-minute winner for Liversedge against Worksop Town, to give his side the spoils in a 3-2 win at Clayborn on Saturday.

The young midfielder’s strike, which was the last kick of the game, deflected off two Worksop defenders before flying into the back of the net and sending the home playing and coaching staff into ecstasy.

Manager Jonathan Rimmington described Cromack’s performance as “immense’ and added: “Cody is still only 18.

“He makes the game look so simple, he is absolutely unbelievable and a diamond footballer.”

The match did not go entirely to plan in the opening quarter for Liversedge. After 20 minutes they found themselves 1-0 down when Worksop forward Charlie Dawes scored with a speculative long-range effort.

The visitors’ opener looked like the wake-up call Liversedge needed to get themselves back into the game.

The last 25 minutes of the first half was all Liversedge, chances came thick and fast but no player in sky blue could convert.

Liversedge’s best chance of the first half fell to makeshift striker Brandon Kane, who controlled the ball and struck it on the half-volley, but the ball whistled just over the crossbar and seconds later the half-time whistle blew.

After the break defender Tom Brook proved lightning really does strike twice as Liversedge scored within a minute of the restart – just the same happened in last Tuesday’s match against Harrogate Railway.

Top-scorer Vaughan Redford might not have got on the scoresheet in Saturday’s match but still proved his worth, running himself into the ground all game and earning Liversedge numerous corners whilst always giving the Worksop back four problems.

This season it seems that  Liversedge are a different side after being in the dressing room with manager Rimmington at half-time.

They proved it again as passion, desire and determination were evident after the break.

Liversedge’s hard-working attitude was matched with a touch of class shortly after, when Brandon Kane battled with defenders and managed to create a chance for teammate Harrison Blakey.

Blakey turned one player and smashed the ball into the visitors’ net to give Liversedge the lead.

Just as they have done all season when holding a lead, Liversedge pushed forward trying to kill the game off.

Unfortunately they were hit with a sucker punch on the break after captain Tom Jackson gave away a free-kick on the edge of the box.

Worksop substitute Henry Sibenge converted it to tie the game at 2-2 with only five minutes remaining.

The visitors had a chance to win the match with only one minute remaining, with only the crossbar prevented them from doing so.

Liversedge went up the other end and young midfielder Cody Cromack showed Worksop how it was done, scoring the winner from 25 yards, giving Liversedge all three points and keeping them within touching distance of the league’s summit.

After the match Rimmington only had positive words for his side.

He said: “The turnaround from last year is quality, for us to compete with Worksop is unbelievable really. I think the last minute goal was no more than we deserved, we were on top throughout.”

Share this post