Dewsbury Rams     30
Hunslet Hawks     18
Dewsbury bounced back from last week’s defeat to Toulouse in perfect style, significantly boosting their survival hopes.
Coach Warren Jowitt had asked for three wins out of the final four games and his players collected their second win with one game to play. Hunslet gave this game their best shot though both sides suffered from poor refereeing decisions.
Hunslet started strongly in both attack and defence. Paul March led the way with some smart ball distribution and he produced his party trick on 10 minutes when he drove over for a try from a close in play the ball, Jack Latus converting
Michael Wainwright made a terrific run from his own half and David Clayton was judged to be holding him down in the tackle. He was sent to the sinbin on 17 minutes.
Anthony England came on as a sub and immediately crashed through for two great runs. That put Hunslet on the back foot and on the half hour Dewsbury scored the try they needed most. A terrific crossfield pass saw Craven link up with Wainwright to send him over in the corner, Pat Walker converting a metre in from touch.
Halftime came and with the Rams levelling, this one was anyone’s for the taking.
Within three minutes of the restart Walker had given the Rams a twopoint lead when he landed a neat penalty goal.
Two minutes later Brambani’s high diagonal kick was fielded by Austin Buchanan who fed inside to Ayden Faal and he flipped the ball on to Walker who strolled over unopposed.
On 50 minutes Walker increased the lead with a penalty and the Rams led by 10.
There was even more to come in an already action packed second half. Just five minutes later  Faal jumped high to collect a Brambani kick and plunged over at the flag for an unconverted try.
Hunslet then fired into action and on 58 minutes Richie Barnett broke loose of the defence to send Danny Ratcliffe sprinting over the whitewash.
The Hawks weren’t done there either. On the hour mark Ratcliffe went in again for his second try in as many minutes. Latus’s conversion cut the deficit to just two points, 2018 to the Rams.
Walker’s 67th minute penalty goal steadied the ship and on 70 minutes Liam Welham put the game to bed as he crossed for a try on his debut. Walker added the extras to send the home crowd wild.
After a great charging run by Lockwood, Walker’s seventh goal gave Dewsbury their 30 points and a much needed victory.

DEWSBURY: James Craven 8, Michael Wainwright 7, Liam Welham 7, Ayden Faal 8, Austin Buchanan 7, Pat Walker 9, Dominic Brambani 8, James Lockwood 8, Luke Blake 7, Steve Crossley 7, Rob Spicer 9, Richard Fletcher 8, Josh Tonks 7. Subs: Luke Menzies 7, Anthony England 8, Elliot Cosgrove , Mark Barlow .
Tries: Wainwright (31), Walker (45), Faal (54), Welham (70)
Goals: Walker 7/8

HUNSLET: Danny Ratcliffe 8, Richie Barnett 7, Jack Latus 7, Dave Clayton 6, Waine Price 7, Danny Grimshaw 6, Paul March 7, Adam Sullivan 7, Luke Haigh 7, James Houston 7, Richard Blakeway 7, John Oakes 8, Tommy Haughey 8. Subs: Joe McLocklan 7, Joe Helme 7, Neil Lowe 7, Adam Yates 6.
Tries: March (10), Ratcliffe (58, 60)
Goals: Latus 3/4

Referee: George Stokes / HT: 66 / Pens: 116 / Weather: Sunny / MOTM: Pat Walker / Attendance: 1,066 / Match Rating: 4/5.

Share this post