Celtic lose out in closing minutes

Featherstone Lions      24
Dewsbury Celtic    18
Dewsbury Celtic missed  a much needed victory thanks to a Danny Glassell touchdown five minutes from time.
In a magnificent match, Celtic could justifiably feel hard done by as they had led 1810 after a superb Alex Walmsley touchdown but in the act of scoring it, he collided with the post and had to leave the field injured. Up until that point, he had caused the Lions huge problems with his powerful surges as did Pat Foulstone, Nikki Crabtree, Danny Thomas and the outstanding Eddie Kilroy.
A Thomas break in the fifth minute saw Danny Crabtree show a fine turn of pace to finish well, Nikki Crabtree adding the extras. Kilroy went close for Celtic while Davies was held up over the line and Sam Wilson had a try disallowed for a forward pass.
Another Alex Walmsley thrust led to Kilroy held centimetres from the whitewash and, at the other end, a Smith break saw Scott Glassell just denied.
A Rich Frankland bomb saw Jack Millington make a superb take, Nikki Crabtree replying with a superb 40/20 which set up a scything Pat Foulstone run that was only stopped by Sam Wilson’s desperate tackle into touch.
Emblem was beginning to make inroads and, on 30 minutes, a deft Scott Glassell chip down the flanks saw Ricky Williams pick up and swoop into the corner. Ian Jackson goaled from the touchline side to level and a fine Kear break soon after saw Lee Land lose the ball over the line.
He made up for it a minute before the break, backing up a Gamble defence splitting run to make it 106 at half time.
Celtic hit back at the start of the second half, excellent handling seeing Millington go over and Nikki Crabtree claiming the extras.  Alex Walmsley bludgeoned his way over soon after but it was a costly touchdown and three minutes later,  Lions hit back when Danny Glassell picked up a stray ball at speed and raced clear, Jackson adding the conversion.
Foulstone was bundled into touch just by the corner flag by Adam Heptinstall and that became a 12point turnaround when a superb Scott Glassell pass saw Davies hit the line with perfect timing and finish in fine style.
Adam Hepworth spilt the ball with a chance beckoning and Celtic then enjoyed a period of dominance. Davies denied Danny Crabtree with a superb trysaving tackle and Foulstone had two superb solo runs but the hosts held firm, Emblem outstanding and, five minutes from time, Smith decisively struck. That was not the end of the drama, however, Dewsbury regaining the ball from the restart and getting Liam Walmsley over only for the try to be disallowed.
With time running out, Danny Crabtree went 60 metres but was just held up and Foulstone halted after a touchline raid and chip as the visitors pressed for the draw.
LIONS: Ian Jackson, Ricky Williams, Danny Glassell, Gareth Davies, Sam Wilson, Rich Frankland, Scott Glassell, John Smith, Dean Gamble, Mark Kear, Danny Milton, Sean Emblem, Lee Land. Subs: Anthony Yates, Jack Candlin, Adam Sayner, Adam Hepworth.
Tries: Williams, Land, Davies, D Glassell.
Goals: Jackson 4/4
CELTIC: Pat Foulstone, Adam Egan, Mike Foulstone, Danny Crabtree, Jack Millington, Josh West, Nikki Crabtree, Alex Walmsley, Tom Perks, Liam Walmsley, Shane Tasker Howard, Eddie Kilroy, Danny Thomas. Subs: Tom Norris, Dave Townend, Ryan Ginnelly, Elliott Smith.
Tries: D. Crabtree, Millington, A Walmsley.
Goals: N. Crabtree 3/3
Featherstone Lions man of the match: Danny Glassell
Dewsbury Celtic man of the match: Eddie Kilroy
HT: 106 Referee: Chris Kendall

Vic on fire in friendly
BIRSTALL VICTORIA scored some great tries in their preseason friendly against Ackworth, winning 3812.
First half scores came from Danny Kirk ,Damon Fletcher and Danny Aldridge with Mick Dyson kicking two goals, to go in leading 166 at the break. Second half tries came from Danny Aldridge grabbing his second, Steve McIntyre scoring on his debut, Josh Wilson, and Mick Dyson finished of the try scoring and converted three of the four second half touchdowns.

Share this post