Bulldogs remain fourth after hard earned victory

BATLEY proved their top four credentials with a hard fought 16-8 win away at  Whitehaven who slipped into the relegation zone as the Bulldogs consolidated third.

The two sides had two tight competitive fixtures in nine days earlier in the season when Batley won both games by a point.

The opening stages of this match showed it was going to be another tight affair and it was the Bulldogs who came out on top again.

But the home side struck the first blow and took the lead after 11 minutes through stand off Grant Gore.

He got the ball after an overlap had been created. He exposed the gap which had been opened to score. John-Paul Brocklebank missed the near touchline conversion.

But despite the home side’s score, Batley were on top and were always favourites to score next.

After coming close on a few occasions, they were helped by a penalty for lying on in the tackle and the sin-binning of prop Ted Chapelhow.

From the resulting set, James Brown piled over from dummy half after poor defence from the home side at marker.

The visitors couldn't take further advantage of the yellow card and the scores were level at the break.

Batley came out for the second half three minutes before the home side and it looked like they had the words of John Kear ringing in their ears.

Whatever Kear said, it worked. Batley dominated the opening 20 minutes of the second period and scored two tries to secure victory.

Wayne Reittie got the opening try of the half as he sped past his fellow winger to get on a Dom Brambani grubber towards the corner. Reittie grounded the ball and set up a difficult  touchline conversion for Pat Walker, who slotted the ball over.

The second try of the half came just before the hour mark and it was Adam Gledhill who powered over after a quick play the ball following a Brown break. Walker slotted over his second conversion of the evening.

The home side hit back quickly through winger Craig Calvert to give them hopes of a comeback, but Brocklebank missed the conversion and Batley had an opportunity to extend their advantage when they were awarded a kickable penalty goal but it was missed by Pat Walker.

Share this post