Brave Celtic bow out of summer playoffs

Dewsbury Celtic’s summer season ended after a secondhalf fightback by Hemel Stags saw them lose 3611.
Both sides had recorded a win over the other in the regular season and the first 40 minutes was the expected tough tussle with nothing in it, Hemel exposing the Dewsbury lefthand side after the break to take the spoils.
In the 12th minute, Dewsbury got a repeat set due to a mixup in communication by the Hemel backs and Celtic worked the ball to the far right for Danny Crabtree to break a tackle and reach out and touch down.
The Stags equalised with a try from BJ Swindells but then some frantic defence was needed by Hemel as Dewsbury put concerted pressure on the home line, James Harmshaw kicking a drop goal on the last tackle to edge the visitors a point ahead when territorially on top.
That served more to relieve pressure on the Stags, however, and, on the half hour Matt Mizzi drove across to restore the home lead.
Two minutes later, a long pass was intercepted by Celtic full back Danny Thomas who sprinted 50 metres to score in the left corner, making it 1211 at halftime.
At the start of the second half, Mizzi again just make the line with an outstretched hand.
Two minutes later came the game breaker when BJ Swindells made a 60metre clearing run but was brought down by a great cover tackle.
With the visiting defence split, though, the ball was worked to the right and Acton finished the move by crossing in the corner.
Another good run saw the Stags obtain another repeat set but Celtic held and responded well, testing the home sliding defence.
Harmshaw failed to reel in a great defencesplitting pass from Danny Crabtree with the line wide open and, in response, a superb run by hardworking Crosby was spoilt when Stu McIntyre knocked on at the play the ball.
On 65 minutes Hemel again exploited a weakness in Celtic’s left side where Crosby charged over.
With the Stags on top, the ball was again shipped to the right wing for BJ Swindells to sidestep two Celtic players and sprint over.
Five minutes from time, Harmshaw put a massive hit on Jason Price but the Hemel stand off regained his feet and fed the ball to the right once more for Ash Fyson to crash over by the flag.

Share this post