Police defend response to racial assault case

Police defend response to racial assault case

POLICE say they are still probing a racist assault in Batley – despite the victim and political activist Tommy Robinson slamming their response. 

EDL founder Robinson came to Batley to interview Nikki Hurst after she was assaulted by three Asian men. The incident happened at 6.45am on October 31 as she walked close to a tunnel which links Lady Ann Road to the Batley Mill Village complex.

In a video interview on the Rebel Media online channel, Miss Hurst claimed that the thugs shouted to her “white girl, give me a light” and hurled verbal abuse at her before walking behind her and smashing her head against the wall.

Two of the culprits were allegedly wearing a local school uniform.

She said: “I woke up holding my Weetabix. It happened that fast I didn’t have time to break my fall.

“I’ve got a four-to-five-inch gash on my forehead. You could see my skull. I had 21 stitches on the outside and 38 or 48 on the inside.”

The 32-year-old claimed that she has only been in contact with West Yorkshire Police a handful of times since the attack a month ago and that photos of her injuries and other information she provided had been lost in a “black hole” by the force, according to the officer who rang her.

Robinson said: “Despite this all happening one month ago, Nikki says the police have still not taken her statement. Batley’s police inspector Mohammed Rauf doesn’t appear to be planning to investigate the racist attack. We demand justice.”

On Wednesday police hit back, saying they had been carrying out an extensive investigation.

A statement said: “Kirklees CID have been conducting enquiries into this incident since it was reported. 

“Extensive CCTV enquiries have been made, which has confirmed the presence of a lone female, believed to be the victim, just prior to 7am.

“We know that just after this time, a member of the public located the victim close to the location of the assault and contacted the police.

“Police arrived at the location within 12 minutes of the report being made and swiftly administered first aid, providing ongoing support until the ambulance arrived a short time later.”

Det Chief Insp Tony Nicholson said: “Detectives from Kirklees CID have been carrying out an extensive investigation into this racially aggravated assault last month.

“At this time we have exhausted all obvious lines of enquiry and I would urge anyone who was in the area at the time to come forward with any information about the incident, no matter how insignificant it may seem.

“Staff from Kirklees CID will continue to support the victim throughout the investigation and will continue to seek out the persons responsible.”

If anyone has any information about the incident, they are asked to contact Kirklees CID via 101, quoting crime reference 13170506171.

Share this post