MONTHS of traffic chaos is likely in Heckmondwike when road repairs costing £760,000 start later this month.
Roads affected include Frost Hill, Flush, Westgate from Flush to Queen Street, High Street, Batley Road and Oldfield Lane.
Work is due to start on Sunday July 21 and is set to stretch into October, meaning extensive disruption is likely.
Some repairs are already under way prior to the main resurfacing work, which will happen on Sundays or weekdays from 9.30am to 3.30pm.
Steps like only resurfacing High Street in the school summer holidays are aimed at reducing the disruption.
Coun Cathy Scott, Kirklees Council cabinet member for place, said the two-kilometre stretch is badly in need of repair.
She added: “I welcome improvements to Heckmondwike’s road system as it will help to reduce maintenance costs."
Pedestrian crossings will be switched off at times, access to side roads is to be restricted and the road closures and diversions wikk be marked with signs.
High Street will be open but Oldfield Lane and Market Street will be shut and a diversion put in place.
ROADS DUE TO BE RESURFACED
• High Street, from Market Street to Church Lane, and Oldfield on Sundays only from July 21 to August 18. Oldfield Lane will be closed.
• High Street, from Church Lane to Batley Road, from July 22 to August 16 with working restricted to 9.30am to 3.30pm.
• Frost Hill, Flush, from Frost Hill to Boundary Street and Wakefield Road from August 4 to September 8. Temporary lights will be in use and Wakefield Road will be closed. The junction of Wormald Street with Flush will also be closed.
• Westgate, from Boundary Street to Omar Street on weekdays from August 19 to August 30.
• Westgate, from Omar Street to Queen Street, on Sundays only from August 18 to September 15.
The Westgate junctions with Greenside and Union Street will be closed and there will be a signed diversion.
• Batley Road, from High Street to Healey Lane, and part of Halifax Road on Sundays only from September 1 to September 29.
• The junction of High Street and Market Street and Market Street to Oldfield Lane on Sundays only from October 6-20.