Garden centre closed to customers after fire damage

AN ELECTRICAL fault may have caused a fire at Whiteleys Garden Centre in Mirfield last Thursday.

The blaze, which broke out at around 7.45pm, was linked by firefighters to a fuse box and meters in a cupboard.

Flames were contained to just one interlinked building but several others were smoke damaged.

Crews from Cleckheaton and Rastrick equipped with breathing apparatus and two hose reels spent about an hour tackling the fire.

A spokesman said: “One of the buildings was well alight with lots of smoke coming through the roof.

“There are several buildings at the site which are interlinked, but the quick action meant we managed to keep the fire to just one of the buildings.”

The centre on Far Common Road, in business for more than 25 years, was closed at the time and remained closed to customers this week.

Whiteleys sells a variety of plants, garden furniture, acquatic supplies and has a cafe.

The fire brigade spokesman added: “They had locked up about an hour and a half before. There was no-one inside and there were no injuries.”

Share this post