Fourteen-year sentence for transporting lethal weapons

Fourteen-year sentence for transporting lethal weapons

A RAVENSTHORPE man has been jailed for 14 years after police caught him transporting a cache of lethal weapons.

Faisal Younis, 31, was found with three prohibited firearms – including a loaded MAC-10 sub-machine gun – in a rucksack when officers stopped the VW Golf private-hire vehicle he was travelling in last October.

Bradford Crown Court heard that the bag also contained Bruni and Reck Miami self-loading pistols and a quantity of ammunition which could be used in the three weapons.

West Yorkshire Police had been carrying out an operation in the Quarry Road area of Dewsbury in relation to drugs and firearms offences when Younis was arrested on October 12.

His arrest came after police had wrongly raided the nearby home of Zaffar Iqbal during the same operation.

Prosecutor Nicholas Askins said the magazine of the MAC-10 contained 20 nine-millimetre cartridges loaded with full metal jacket bullets.

The other two pistols were empty, but the rest of the ammunition that was seized could have been used in those guns.

After his arrest, officers searched a bedsit flat on Quarry Road which Younis had been renting and using as a storage facility where they found a sawn-off shotgun under a bed, and almost £90,000 worth of heroin and crack cocaine.

Mr Askins said while there had been 11 firearms discharges in Kirklees from April 1, 2017 to August 29, 2017, none of the seized firearms have been linked to any discharge.

Younis, of Tanhouse Street, Ravensthorpe, had already pleaded guilty to charges of possessing a prohibited weapon, possession of two self-loading pistols and a sawn-off shotgun.

He denied possessing a firearm with intent to endanger life when he appeared at Bradford Crown Court last November, but changed his plea to guilty on the basis that he had been acting as a “custodian courier”.

Defending Younis, Soheil Khan said he had a serious lapse in judgement after getting involved in the offending.

The court heard that CCTV from the flats on Quarry Road captured Younis leaving with the rucksack minutes before officers swooped to arrest him.

Recorder Ray Singh told Younis: “You must appreciate that you have pleaded guilty to very serious and significant criminal offending.”

He went on to say that Younis was an integral part of the drugs supply network being used for protection or to enforce “territorial claims”.

Sentencing him to 14 years, Mr Singh said: “Those firearms would undoubtedly be used to intimidate, used to kill, used to maim.”

He ordered the forfeiture of the firearms, ammunition and drugs seized by police.

Share this post