Eight-year sentence for mowing down soldier outside nightclub

Eight-year sentence for mowing down soldier outside nightclub

A DEWSBURY man who ploughed his car into a serving soldier outside a nightclub in Batley has been jailed for eight years.

Hamza Ali Hussain sped towards a group of people in the early hours of New Year’s Day after his friends had been involved in a “minor altercation” inside the TBC nightclub on Bradford Road.

Father-to-be Joshua Adams-Mitchell was thrown 20-30 yards before landing in the road after hitting the windscreen of the blue Mercedes following the incident at 4.41am.

The now 22-year-old suffered serious head, body and leg injuries, leaving his army career in doubt. He has served with the Yorkshire Regiment since the age of 18.

Hussain, 23, of Middle Road in Westtown, was charged with section 18 wounding.

Leeds Crown Court heard that Hussain hadn’t been in the nightclub but was “enraged” when his friends told him about a dispute they’d had during the evening.

They pointed out to Hussain who they claimed was responsible for the altercation as he was waiting outside the club in the rented car – which he wasn’t entitled to drive, having never passed a driving test. The vehicle had been hired days earlier by an acquaintance.

Hussain then drove away before circling back round and towards the group which were stood near Bradford Road’s junction with Hick Lane.

Mr Adams-Mitchell had stepped back into the road when the defendant “accelerated and drove directly towards him and struck him at speed”. 

Hussain then sped away from the scene and abandoned the car. 

He was arrested the following day after shaving off his beard in an attempt to disguise himself.

Jonathan Sharp, prosecuting, said the victim rolled over the top of the car and suffered facial fractures, injuries to his knee, damage to his right eye, rib and lung injuries and post-traumatic stress disorder.

Mr Sharp said: “He is currently signed off as unable to work in a military role and his future career in the army may be dependant on his recovery from PTSD and his knee injury, which require continued treatment.”

In a victim impact statement, Mr Adams-Mitchell said: “I’m worried when I go out and feel paranoid that something will happen to me, I just don’t feel at ease.

“I could not get it out of my head that someone was coming for me. I’m really worried about my career – I’m worried I will be medically discharged.

“I just don’t understand how someone could do this to me. The impact in my relationship with my partner has been the biggest problem.”

Mitigating, Robin Frieze said Hussain was “desperately sorry” for his actions. He added: “He’s appalled by what he did in the heat of the moment. He wishes through me to express remorse and to make the point that he offers no excuse.”

Sentencing Hussain to eight years in prison, Judge Robin Mairs said: “There is no reason or justification for your actions that morning. You were enraged for some reason of your own, you were in some state of outrage.”

Judge Mairs added he could not find any political motivation from the evidence presented.

Detective Inspector Mark Catney, of Kirklees CID, said: “We welcome the sentence which has been handed down to Hussain today and hope that it will provide the victim and his family with closure and justice following this terrible ordeal.”

Share this post