IT was a holiday to remember for the family of Dewsbury dad Mark Swannell – for all the wrong reasons.
Mark, 46, took wife Nicola to Turkey in October 2014 to celebrate her 40th birthday and their wedding earlier that year.
But while in the resort of Sarigerme, Mark spent several days in hospital with a serious gastric illness.
He is now considering legal action after tour operator TUI UK Ltd, trading as First Choice, failed to admit or deny liability.
Mark claimed food he was served at the hotel was undercooked, including chicken that was bloody.
Some food was left uncovered for long periods and appeared to have been served at more than one sitting.
Mark, a dad of three, also said cats were sometimes seen in public areas of the hotel.
He said: “The whole point of the holiday was that it was a great chance for us to get away together as a family to celebrate Nicola’s 40th birthday, while we were also treating it as our belated honeymoon.
“It was supposed to be a fantastic break for us, but it ended up being nothing short of a holiday from hell when I fell ill.
“It was a complete nightmare and we had no option but to get medical assistance from the hotel doctor due to the condition I was in.
“I never expected to be rushed to hospital in an ambulance when I booked the holiday, but that’s how I ended up.”
Jennifer Downing, for law firm Irwin Mitchell, said the tour operator had not responded.
She added: “This is extremely disappointing and is only serving to prolong this ordeal for Mark and his family.
“They obviously have bad memories of their holiday in Turkey and want these issues resolved so they can put the ordeal behind them once and for all.
“Mark’s illness had a significant impact on his enjoyment of the holiday with his family.
“His illness was severe, causing him to be hospitalised for several days, and he understandably feels the tour operator has not taken his ordeal seriously.”