Crash killer spared return to jail after drunken fan attack

Crash killer spared return to jail after drunken fan attack

A DEWSBURY woman has avoided going back to jail after a drunken assault at a concert.

Emma Egan was sentenced to four years in prison in 2014 for killing a cyclist in a drink-driving crash.

The 29-year-old was released last year on parole for good behaviour, but appeared in court again last month accused of assault.

Egan admitted to assaulting Gary Tann at a Drake concert at the Etihad Stadium when she appeared at Manchester Magistrates’ Court at the end of August.

The former beauty therapist, of Ashworth Green in Dewsbury, lost her temper with Mr Tann after he told her boyfriend off for urinating on people.

Egan’s boyfriend, Fauod Elhabba, 27, had been relieving himself at the gig.

When Mr Tann said it was unacceptable, Egan, who had been drinking, attacked him and pushed him over a row of seats.

Carl Miles, prosecuting, said: “The group stood up in front of them but Miss Egan squared up to Mr Tann and pushed him repeatedly in the face until he fell over the row in front.

“Security staff were informed and Mr Elhabba was escorted from the arena. They were both subsequently arrested. In the initial interviews both defendants denied what they had done.”

At the time, Egan was on licence for two years for causing the death of 55-year-old Eric Codling by dangerous driving when drunk.

Father-of-two Mr Codling was riding his bike along Whirlowdale Road, Sheffield, in November 2013 when Egan, who was over the drink-drive limit and travelling at around 70mph, struck and killed him.

She had stopped briefly after the crash before driving off in her Vauxhall Astra.

Police found her at her boyfriend’s home.

She said she was “profoundly sorry for her actions leading to the tragedy” and explained she had “been in a state of emotional turmoil” over the ending of her relationship. 

Having served two years of her four-year sentence, should she have committed another crime during her licence period Egan could have gone back to prison.

She was charged with common assault for the concert incident but escaped with a 12-month community order.

Magistrates ordered her to complete 160 hours of unpaid work and to pay her victim £200 in compensation, as well as £455 in costs and surcharges.

Egan avoided jail after the court heard she had a ‘promising future’ and was making ‘significant progress’ with probation officials.

Elhabba, also from Dewsbury, was convicted of common assault and given 20 weeks in jail suspended for a year. He was ordered to complete 200 hours of unpaid work, as well as pay £200 in compensation and £485 in costs and surcharges.

After the hearing, Mr Codling’s widow, Karen, said: “It’s outrageous that she has been let off when she has committed another offence related to alcohol.

“At the time she was released we were told that if she committed another misdemeanour then she would go to prison but that’s not happened. That’s not justice is it?”

Share this post