ROAD improvements totalling £57,000 for four Batley streets were approved by councillors last Wednesday.
The scheme, for Trafalgar Street, Upper Croft Road, Healey Street and Healey Close, was backed by Batley, Birstall and Birkenshaw Area Committee members.
It was the biggest single spending commitment from a raft of decisions made at the Batley Town Hall meeting.
Funding for other projects included:
• £6,288 for highways improvements in Birstall and Birkenshaw;
• £6,140.90 to keep Birstall's public toilets open;
• £5,000 for an employment, learning and skills initiative in Batley;
• £4,500 for a Birstall Chamber of Trade retail radio scheme;
• £3,500 for festive lighting in Birstall;
• £3,000 towards the rewiring of Batley Cricket Club;
• £1,500 for Friends of Wilton Park to relandscape the Duck Island.
Another £7,700 was set aside for events in Batley town centre, ranging from Easter to the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee.
In Birstall, a sign marking the centenary of the Market Place statue of Joseph Priestley was among several projects funded.
A further £3,813.10 was made available for floral decorations around Birstall, Birkenshaw and East Bierley.